• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Router Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speedracer 64

I just put a wireless router on my friends work computer and created a network for them. He also wanted me to hook up his wireless printer to go with it. I can not get it to work. It ask for the WPA/WEP to enter. I can not find out this info. When I go to 198.168.1.1 like on my computer it ask for a username and password. The computer doesn't have a password and the one I set up for the wireless doesn't work. Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Look for a label or sticker underneath or behind it. It should have a default WPA/WEP key. Also what brand is it? They usually follow similar username/passwords such as admin/admin.

I found the username and password right before you posted it. I don't see a network key. See Mac 1, Mac 2, and security pin.

or press the wpa button on the printer and the router.

idk with my wireless printer i couldnt get the wep code to work only the button :\ mine is an HP all in one if that helps.

I'm confused here. Are you saying that WPA2 (I hope!) key that you have set in the settings does not work when you type it in the printer? Or does the printer have a one-touch WPS button that isn't working?

Ok WNDR3300
Does it have the blue bubble ? Push that.
Do you have local Administrator access on his WORK computer?
What happens if you open wireless networks and turn on the router? Do you see a new SSID show up? If you plug in wired to the router, can you open IE/Firefox and go to 192.168.0.1?

Ok WNDR3300
Does it have the blue bubble ? Push that.
Do you have local Administrator access on his WORK computer?
What happens if you open wireless networks and turn on the router? Do you see a new SSID show up? If you plug in wired to the router, can you open IE/Firefox and go to 192.168.0.1?

Yes I can pull up 192.168.0.1

Depending on how old the printer is it's possible that it doesn't support all types of wireless security. I changed the WPA type on my router once and the nintendo Wii wasn't compatible, so I had to change it back. There seems to be a lot of confusion here, and I myself am not really sure what the trouble is, but these are the steps that I would follow.

1) Consult the printer manual and figure out exactly what kind of wireless security the printer supports.

2) Armed with this information, log into the router and set the wireless security to that same type.

3) When you set up the wireless security mode you'll enter a passphrase or generate one depending on the type of security, this is what should be entered into the printer in order for it to connect.

4) If the printer won't take it then you should verify connectivity on another device. Can other computers and devices connect to the wireless network? If so then it's the printer, if not then something isn't set up right.

I hope this was helpful.

Back