• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rtx 3080 and asus tuf x299 mark 1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundhunter

Registered
Hi everyone
While I'm waiting for the rtx 3080, I've been thinking, if my asus tuf x299 mark1 will be alright for it?
Yeah I get it, pcie 4.0 is better. But how better? I don't care if it's not much of a difference. And I really don't want to change motherboard/cpu right now.
So what do you think? How big could be the bottleneck and should I be worried?)

I highly doubt there will be much of a bottleneck if any. Although next gen nvidia will be a lot faster than a 5700xt, there isn't a tangible difference there.

I may be wrong in saying. But I think a 2080ti will just about saturate pcie 3.0 x8, but will not saturate a 3.0 x16 and is a long way off. Obviously we don’t know the specs of the 3080/3080ti but I cannot see them fully saturating pcie 3.0 x16.

Now if you are running an nvme drive which is using the pcie lanes from the cpu, then that could be a different matter and maybe there will be a benefit from having 4.0 for people.

Also if you are running an sli set up and an nvme drive, then you would already probably benefit from having 4.0.

But the big caveat for you is that you are on x299 which has access to more pcie lanes than a normal none hedt platform. It depends what cpu you have of course and what other hardware you are using. But I would say in your case, unless the 3080ti is an absolute beast, you probably don’t need to upgrade to get 4.0.

Back