• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running 2 different RAMS/brands in dual channel mode

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

S4ngetsu

So my question is does my RAM work correctly ?

In CPU-Z it says "Dual" in the memory tab but im not sure if it's working correctly because in the SPD tab it's shown
Slot #1 - Ranks: Dual
Slot #2 - Ranks: Single

Also i have manually adjusted the speed of the PC3-12800K RAM to 800 with the timings table.

So far everything runs smoothly...

Anyone here has tips for me ? :) <3

Memorytab.PNG
Slot1.PNG
Slot2.PNG

Dual rank is not dual channel. It's more of a ram steuctire. Taco is not an expert in this field though.
Running different ram sticks together might work, but it's not a promise. It'll have to be in lowest speed of the two.

It's running in dual channel at the moment. Run a few stress tests to make sure it's stable, otherwise 'errory' ram is bad for you and the environment. Causes errors, ruins perfectly good windows.

Thanks guys, this helped ! =)

Though, I wonder how mutch the speed increases if i buy another corsair DIMM and replace it with the weaker one (Slot2).
I mean is it worth the 50€ ?

Last edited:
Thanks guys, this helped ! =)

Though, I wonder how mutch the speed increases if i buy another corsair DIMM and replace it with the weaker one (Slot2).
I mean is it worth the 50€ ?

nope, your not going to see a big enough performance increase to justify the cost. stick with what you have until your ready to buy a new set of memory to go with the new rig you build ;)

It's actually running already at faster Ram's speed as is.(on shower timings though). As long as it's stable..

I'm running a similar mismatch in my laptop right now. Two modules, same capacity, one SR, one DR, at highest common speed and lowest timings. Can confirm it is running dual channel mode from bandwidth benchmarks.

Back