• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running an OC'd FX 8350 at 100% 24/7. Anyone else doing that?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Heh, I water cool everything as well, but not quite down to that level. I am also notorious for hammering my rig to the edge of sanity and beyond and it still serves me very well.

Heh, I water cool everything as well, but not quite down to that level. I am also notorious for hammering my rig to the edge of sanity and beyond and it still serves me very well.
I actually linked Poco your "FX its tougher than you think." thread via pm ssj. These Fx chips certainly tend to be very tolerant of heat and voltage. I can say first hand my 6300 and 8350 have been beat on pretty hard and they still function as they did day one. Heck both of them have seen voltage well above what is considered remotely safe, on Dice and Ln2 multiple times. I haven't seen a single bit of degradation at all on either. My 8350 has been running 4.7 @ 1.46875 v around 10 hours a day, since day one, I've yet to have to modify the Oc to get it stable again, which is usually a sign of degradation.

If you want to see the actual vrm temps you need the ai suite. As far as cooling them with water, don't. Everybody told me not to, but I didn't listen. Although it looks cool, and nb temps are lower because they're in the loop, vrm temps are at best the same(if not higher) as when actively cooled by air. All I've really managed to do is add heat to me loop and take headroom away from my CPU oc(which is fine, my chip is voltage limited anyhow). Now if I machined channels into my vrm block, it might be another story. But as it stands I plan to put the stock heatsinks and redo my loop as soon as I have a day or two off work. As for durability of fx chips, many have stated this already, beat it hard and it'll love you for it.

Mandrake, I think the Deneb processors are tougher than people think as well. I am running my old 965 on SETI as well and it has been at 100% for 7 days now with temps maxing at 72C. It never skips a beat. I have the stock 8350 cooler on it. That is coming off this weekend and my old 212 is going on it to get that temp in line. I did not want it that high, but was surprised to see it did it and did not mess up a bit. It is still running now. I will not stop it until I go to change the cooler.

Mandrake, I think the Deneb processors are tougher than people think as well. I am running my old 965 on SETI as well and it has been at 100% for 7 days now with temps maxing at 72C. It never skips a beat. I have the stock 8350 cooler on it. That is coming off this weekend and my old 212 is going on it to get that temp in line. I did not want it that high, but was surprised to see it did it and did not mess up a bit. It is still running now. I will not stop it until I go to change the cooler.
Agreed! Though I've seen some PII get a bit wonky at around 55c.

I've been in the project since may of 1999, running at over 99% uptime for almost 17 years now.
As long as your cpu and case cooling is adequate running like this does nothing.
You may find that you'll buy a couple more power supplies..if you run a power supply constantly for 2 years then let it cool down, they don't always like to start up again.
The _only_ hardware failure I've had in 17 years over (let me think...) 10 new computer builds was a single failed HDD, one time.

One thing you want to do is get a high efficiency power supply..that can actually save you some money..go 80 plus Gold..

oh..keep an eye on it if you're running the seti@home project...they came out with some new code recently that upped my temps 6 or 7 degrees all by itself..

I7 4790K, Asus z97ws MB, 16 GB ddr3 @2400, Nvid gtx 780, 2 WD Black 500 GB HDD in a Raid 1 and a 750W 80+gold PS

Last edited:
I have a few leftover pII's to play with (thubans) and like the 955/965 they also don't like much more than 1.62 vcore.
I may have a good one but need to put a little more time into it.

If the usage stats on the BOINCSTATS site are at all accurate, all the non commercial, scientific projects already have more participants/capacity than work.
You provide no benefit to anybody but the electric company running a roomful of junkers.
well..unless you're mining those gridcoins..which are unlikely to ever be actually worth anything as there's no cap on their production. Unlike Bitcoin, Gridcoins are unlimited.
unlimited = no value
well..except to the founders who are sitting on 10's of millions of them and will cash a 6 figure paycheck if those things ever trade for one cent each for an hour.

Magron - The funniest thing I find about Seti is that they have an Android app. What a waste of time that is! I did have to try it on my Dell Venue 7. I let it go for a week and my main rig dies the same amount of work in about 10 minutes. Why even waste the time making an app for mobile devices. The 4 core Intel Atom processor in my Dell is as slow as an old Apple ][e for that kind of work.

some grad or undergrad hones their 'droid skills..participates in the program and gets academic credit.
This is, after all, less about 'science' and more about providing free resources to kids trying to get their degrees.

Back