• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running programs on Second HDD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

90Ninety

Registered
From an old computer I took out my 1.5 TB HDD which had Windows 7 OS x64 , (along with all my programs and files ).

This 1.5 TB Disc was put into a new build (current - see sig ) case with a newer smaller primary 160 GB drive with a fresh Windows install . I actually want the 1.5 TB drive for a server which I am embarking upon

It has been working well , I have managed to run steam along with all games from this secondary drive ,albeit losing some game saves , no big deal. I managed this by installing steam on the primary drive and copying the Steam install files from the old drive to the new ( researching online - thanks google )

However in the near future I want to replace & clone this 1.5 TB,(secondary drive ) HDD for a smaller 500 GB HDD since I am only using 1/3 of its space for gaming .Currently ( I assume) the secondary dirve has lots of folders that arent used ( ahem -windows) , since I am using the OS on the Primary drive ,so I assume I should delete all the files including the windows directory while keeping all the necessarily programs files and games ( steam ) right or wrong ?

Last thing I want is not being able to talk with the Drive and being unable to launch steam .

My gut tells me its just a case of copying the relevant program files to a new disk , as save games are mostly kept on the primary drive ( users/appdata or documents/savegames ).However just feel I should run it past a few tech gurus beforehand , so I can learn also.

thanks in advance and happy christmas

Last edited:
I would back up the save files and any other personal data from the 1.5Tb to the 160Gb and then wipe the 1.5 (reformat). I've never had anything but problems trying to run things installed on an old HDD when I plug that drive into a new PC. Backup what you need from the 1.5, reformat it, install the new 500, and then install all of the game fresh on it.

Back