• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running Win7 on SSD whil other programs on HDD stability issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scrag1TT

I have recently upgraded a few bits and with a special offer on a OCZ Vertex3 SSD 60g I thought I would run the operating system plus a few other things that I often use such as iTunes etc. This all went very well initially. I changed the route for temp files and standard download places to an existing sata2 HDD from my old system to try and save on the amount of space being churned up with rubbish so I could save the new godly super speed space for other stuff. Since Installing other various programs on the HDD I seem to be suffering from many system freezes? No particular time nor program starts seemingly making this happen it just seems to be completely random? I have read on various forums poeple having the same issues and I have from these tried various fixes such as firmware upgrade, changing system to AHCI, memory diagnostics (all fine) SSD & HDD diagnostics (all fine) drivers for both (all up to date) updates where required to everything attached to the system plus review of the event viewer which sent me on a hunt for some seeminly deep inner system network notices failing which I think I have cleared up but they are a bit beyond my understanding :) - So my main question is, do you think running programs across 2 separate drives both with different connection speeds could be cause system instability which may be why i am experiencing these random system freezes? Any help is massively appreciated and thanks in advance! :ty:

I have run this configuration for almost 3 years across 4 or 5 SSD's, a couple of OS's (Vista/W7) and several intel chipsets and motheboards with no issues.

That said, it would be incredibly helpful if you list your system specs (after a couple of posts you can create a signature) so we know what you are working with.

Have you updated the CHIPSET drivers (as there are no drivers for the drives, just firmware)?

Does this only happen when accessing the programs on the HDD?

What ports are these on? Have you tried switching ports?

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply! My set-up is gigabyte GA-Z77-3DH, i5 3570K 3.4, 8gb Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey, AKASA AK-960V2 INTEL COOLER, OCZ 60gb Vertex3 SATA3 & 320gb 7200 SATA2 HDD (can't remember the name/make as old) 550w PSU (old 6 years! - awaiting replacement Powercool 850w), XFX nVidia 8800 GT Alpha Dog (old) - nothing is overclocked yet as only just bought some bits to replace old ASUS AN8-SLI system with old parts mentioned above.

I haven't tried changing slots I must admit and will give it a go later. Freezes seem to happen at random?? but have been trying to see if there has been anything specific in the event viewer setting it off. Doesn't see to do it when opening or running anything in particular nor at a particular time??

Will switch ports later and see if there is any difference?

Thanks again!!

SOLVED

Hi,

Managed to sort it out. It seemed to be sorted (I think) after returning board to stock settings including the xmp on ram. Installing new BIOS (F14) and returning to xmp. All runs fine as far as I can tell.

Many thanks!

Power cool 850? Yuck don't do it.

Look at the sticky thread in the Psu section for a quality Psu.

+1.. link in my sig for the psu list.. we'd hate to see you fry your good system with a sub-par power unit

I just diagnosed my old 60GB SSD to be the source of the freeze problem. If this problem re-appears, consider the SSD itself to be a problem.

I imaged the OS onto another hard drive and the problem was solved.

Cheers guys. Hopefully it will remain to be alright although have not used the system again yet as really want a new psu for it. Will check the threads. Many thanks again for your help!!

Back