• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RX480 drive a 4k monitor for Netflix 4k streams?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

Is it strong enough to drive a 4k display + 2 1080P displays around it with browsers etc on them and Netflix on the 4k panel? They are getting very cheap, and I'm considering nabbing one as an Easter gift to myself.

Don't want to waste my money if it hasn't got a fighting chance.

480 is going to be replaced by a volta card if it ever releases :p

Your current 480 listed in your sig can, so, another one could, of course. :)

Any particular features to look out for other than proper HDR support? Been doing some research on it in my free time.

And 4k tvs vs 4k monitors, tvs start at 40 inches, and monitors ~ 27 inches. Yet monitors are almost always more money. Other than refresh rate, What are the real differences? Any reasons NOT to get a tv these days?

Response times are typically slower on TVs. I specifically chose mine based on response time (5 ms) because I game on it . AA doesn't seem to have as much effect on my TV (1080p) so I get more jagged edges with everything cranked up to ultra. I wouldn't imagine 4k would have that issue. My biggest reason for not going 4k is it would make my VGA obsolete the moment I plugged it in. Can't afford a 4k TV and a 1080 Ti. LOL

Are you using a TV as a computer monitor? A larger one? Pixel density is less at 1080p with a larger monitor and you sit close to it..

Option 1:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824025512 Price: $376.19 Benefits: Freesync support.

No mention of HDR support, 60 hz refresh rate

Option 2:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889007355&cm_re=4k_tv-_-89-007-355-_-Product Price: $326.99 Benefits: "Active HDR" and "HDR effect" support, whatever those actually mean. I've done photography editing and have done a HDR effect on images, but I don't understand it on monitors/tvs.

No freesync, TV, Heavy, 43 inches.

I'm not partial to LG. But my price cap is Really $350.

Any recommendations?

Back