• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 1600x upgrade suggestion/advice needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
According to this benchmark https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/call-of-duty-warzone-pc-performance-analysis/, you won't be likely to benefit from more cores/threads. The CPU used in the test (9900k) does have higher clock speed and instructions per clock (IPC - the amount of work done in a clock cycle), so it's not a perfect comparison, but it definitely seems to be more of a GPU bound situation. Also it took a 2080Ti to run 1080p Ultra above 140fps. I don't have any experience with this site and their reviews / methodology, but appears to be fine.

Here some testing is done on MW, not Warzone (not sure of the differences in performance requirements) but the 2060 Super is only pushing 120fps on 1080p Ultra. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/...re-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/5.html. The 5700Xt did average 140fps, so I imagine turning some settings down you could keep the game above 140fps or close to that. Again not sure of the differences as comparing the two different sites Warzone seems to have lower performance. Also not trying to recommend purchasing a card based on a single review, but the 5700XT is well within your budget https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-rad...=5700xt-_-14-202-349-_-Product&quicklink=true

One final test you can do to simulate how high your CPU will go without the graphics bottleneck is to turn the resolution down below 1080 to 720p or even lower. Not for gameplay of course, but just to see at what point the CPU becomes the limiting factor and how many frames it can push.

Turned the resolution down to 720p on CoD Warzone mode and average fps was about 115 and saw it hit 140 a few times. GPU usage still hit 100%, temps never hit above 75. Pretty big difference in the smooth feel from 80-120 to 115 to 140 though fps wise.

So your GPU, not the CPU is the bottleneck at present.

It is one of those situations where an upgrade either way, (cpu or gpu) will create a bottleneck in the system. I have a r5 1600 and 5700xt and the cpu is holding the gpu back slightly, maybe 3-5%.

So if the OP upgrades the cpu then the gpu is a bigger bottleneck or if you upgrade the GPU he could hit a cpu bottleneck.

I think I said it earlier, but I don’t really see a major need to upgrade either component on the budget you have or without just buying a whole new system and splashing out on an RTX 2080 for much better performance.

Well as mentioned earlier, im my gpu is being tapped out even at 720p resolution at 100% then I think its safe to say the GPU should be my first upgrade (I think so anyways). I play in 1080p resolution and dont care about graphics (I run everything on low anyways), what would be a legit upgrade to a GTX Titan X? Its been a while since i've looked into hardware so im just going over tons of specs and hardware but there is mountains of stuff out there.

I think he is alluding to the expectation that with the next generation of GPUs you will get a lot more performance per dollar. Of course it's up to you to decide if it's worth waiting for 3 or 4 months in order to get in on the new tech. There's always something better seemingly around the corner. It might be worth it to have a better experience now than wait and have the better value later.

But the issue is still the limits of your budget. Can you afford to buy a newer video card that will actually be much of an upgrade with reference to your present one? If the answer is "No" it's a waste of money. You can however, make a significant upgrade in CPU power within your budget and you can do it now. And it won't be long until your present CPU becomes the bottleneck as games get more CPU demanding every year it seems.

I really can't see buying a video card of lesser capability than say, the Rtx 2070 super if you go that route. But that's about 6 bills.

Last edited:
But the issue is still the limits of your budget. Can you afford to buy a newer video card that will actually be much of an upgrade with reference to your present one? If the answer is "No" it's a waste of money. You can however, make a significant upgrade in CPU power within your budget and you can do it now. And it won't be long until your present CPU becomes the bottleneck as games get more CPU demanding every year it seems.

I really can't see buying a video card of lesser capability than say, the Rtx 2070 super if you go that route. But that's about 6 bills.

Yup, that was exactly the one I was thinking about pulling the trigger, the RTX 2070 Super. Every comparison site has that one has the biggest upgrade within a reasonable price (to me at least lol). At least I will know that one will not be the bottle neck of my rig and will give me something to aim for as the next upgrade.

Exactly. When you don't have the capital to upgrade several things at once, start with one at a time. The Rtx 2070 Super should give you a little GPU headroom until the other components can be caught up to speed. Since the GPU is the bottleneck right now, it makes since to start there.

Exactly. When you don't have the capital to upgrade several things at once, start with one at a time. The Rtx 2070 Super should give you a little GPU headroom until the other components can be caught up to speed. Since the GPU is the bottleneck right now, it makes since to start there.

Yup!! Thanks for the infos/help, much appreciated.

You have changed your budget slightly, keeping it under $500 would not have yielded any performance gains for you with a new gpu.

However, yes the 2070 super would be a slight upgrade, but usually costs upwards of $500? Unless I am mistaken?

I would still say hang on for a few more months, but it isn’t like the 2070s is a bad buy so I am sure you will be happy.

You have changed your budget slightly, keeping it under $500 would not have yielded any performance gains for you with a new gpu.

However, yes the 2070 super would be a slight upgrade, but usually costs upwards of $500? Unless I am mistaken?

I would still say hang on for a few more months, but it isn’t like the 2070s is a bad buy so I am sure you will be happy.

It's one of those cycles to where if you wait something there is always something new about to come out type deal lol. The RTX 2070 Super is about 30-40% gain to my GTX Titan X in performance numbers depending on which site you use for stats on benchmarks. Price wise I checked various sites and they are anywhere from $500 to $700+ depending on how suped up of one you are looking for. So with that and perhaps a 3700x or even 3900x in a month or 2 its going to be a massive gain in fps.

30-40% is a major fps gain in my estimation. I would not call that a slight upgrade. But it may seem that at first because it will then cause the CPU to be the bottleneck.

30-40% is a major fps gain in my estimation. I would not call that a slight upgrade. But it may seem that at first because it will then cause the CPU to be the bottleneck.

Yea that's the plan, get a decent GPU now then upgrade the cpu/mobo at a later date. Probably be a 3700x, or even a 3900x depending on if the prices drop enough. Either would be a nice combo to go with the RTX 2070 Super for 1080p mid/low settings.

I got the EVGA RTX 2070 Super and went from 90-120 fps to 120-150 fps. Was a nice bump in fps for sure. Now the question is will the Ryzen XT CPUs work on my current motherboard (ASUS Prime X370-Pro). I believe its just am AM4 socket so I would imagine they would haha. That Ryzen 3800xt looks good!

X370 support for Zen2 (Ryzen 3xxx) is unofficial via beta bios only. It looks like your board can do it with a BIOS update. It doesn't have the latest microcode but it does have the version ABBA which was a bit performance improvement over the release. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/HelpDesk_BIOS/

According to this table: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/HelpDesk_BIOS/ your motherboard should be just fine for an 8c part.

That said I don't know that the 3800xt is worth $125 vs a 3700x for $275. 45% price increase for 300MHz single core boost doesn't sound like a good value to me. Also the 3600 for a mere $165 is a tough value to beat. I'm sure with the upcoming consoles more and more games will use 8c/16t, but $110 is a lot to pay for 2 extra cores and 200Mhz single core boost.

X370 support for Zen2 (Ryzen 3xxx) is unofficial via beta bios only. It looks like your board can do it with a BIOS update. It doesn't have the latest microcode but it does have the version ABBA which was a bit performance improvement over the release. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/HelpDesk_BIOS/

According to this table: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/HelpDesk_BIOS/ your motherboard should be just fine for an 8c part.

That said I don't know that the 3800xt is worth $125 vs a 3700x for $275. 45% price increase for 300MHz single core boost doesn't sound like a good value to me. Also the 3600 for a mere $165 is a tough value to beat. I'm sure with the upcoming consoles more and more games will use 8c/16t, but $110 is a lot to pay for 2 extra cores and 200Mhz single core boost.

Yea i'm currently on the bios Version 5220 so well see when they actually come out. Still what a month away or so for them to come out or something but for sure the 3700xt is prime for cheap cash. I only scoped the 3800xt was because of what you mentioned, the 300mhz boost. I'll most likely end up spending the extra cash for a new mobo and ram to with with either the 3700xt or 3800xt. Will really depend on the pricing when they come out.

If you're going new mobo and more concerned with peak performance than value you should wait for Ryzen 4xxx desktop (Zen 3), and see how it compares to Intel 10th Gen. They do have the win for gaming right now in the 10600k, and they've greatly improved their pricing and their access to multi-threading so its a pretty competitive platform for gaming. Even if they are milking blood from a 14nm stone.

Back