• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 1800x Overclock Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pedram

Registered
Hi community- i've recently bought ryzen 1800x-msi b350 pro carbon - 8GB crucial 3000 - coolermaster 650W WME PSU - watercooler for cpu

first of all i need to know what are these options in my mobo bios.
1-cpu over voltage protection
2-cpu under voltage protection
3-cpu over current protection
and is it dangerous if i turn them off for a stable overclock ?
because when they're ON i cant reach 4.0Ghz even with 1.5vcore as soon as i turned them off and setted cpu Loadline calibration level and cpu NB loadline calibration level on Mode 2 i easlly can reach stable 4.0Ghz with 1.5vcore whitch it's pretty high vcore and i know that.
i need some one just give me a solution to reach 4.0Ghz with safe and stable settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my second problem is: why does my 1800x on 3.8Ghz can be stable with 1.35vcore but 3.9Ghz has to be only 1.42vcore or more ? is it normal for 1800x? because i heard that most people can oc their 1700 or 1700x to 3.9Ghz only with 1.35vcore.

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Can you tell us more about your "water cooler for cpu"? Is this a custom loop or an AIO?

I would not be running 1.5 vcore and even 1.42 is higher than I'm comfortable with. Normally, we don't disable over volt protections. There is more than just the health of the CPU at stake here because high voltage on a big gun CPU like that can damage motherboard components.

Under volt protection I think has the purpose of making sure the voltage doesn't drop below what is necessary for the system to post and/or boot.

Do you have the latest bios installed for your motherboard?

Have you done any temp monitoring with Ryzenmaster yet?

Is your RAM running at the full 3000 mhz?

Can you tell us more about your "water cooler for cpu"? Is this a custom loop or an AIO?

I would not be running 1.5 vcore and even 1.42 is higher than I'm comfortable with. Normally, we don't disable over volt protections. There is more than just the health of the CPU at stake here because high voltage on a big gun CPU like that can damage motherboard components.

Under volt protection I think has the purpose of making sure the voltage doesn't drop below what is necessary for the system to post and/or boot.

Do you have the latest bios installed for your motherboard?

Have you done any temp monitoring with Ryzenmaster yet?

Is your RAM running at the full 3000 mhz?

hello mr trents. this is my watercooler

ba8ecc56-da37-472a-bd1e-25c84cb06b14.jpg

there is no way i can reach stable 4.0Ghz if i dont disable that 3 options.

yes my bios is latest update (7B00v1B Release Date 2018-03-20)

nope but im monitoring temps with HWmonitor and performance monitor. i've also installed MSI Command Center yesterday (i think temps are normal with 3.9Ghz on 1.42vcore . cpu is 55C on load and vrm is around 75C on load) i usually converting videos to x265 and x264

nope i OCed my Ram to 3200Mhz with 1.36 volt timing: 16-16-16-35- 1T - i even can do 15-16-16-34 but some times OS gets bluescreen.

and im really sorry dude im new in this forum i've no idea how to like your comments. i'll do as soon as i figure it out

Last edited:
Those three options are ther to help protect your CPU. Either your motherboard has a part in it and you are getting a lot of V_Droop we can check that if you post a screen shot of the system loaded with some stability test and have HWinfo open .
That being said 1.5V is quite high for Ryzen, AMD recommends 1.35V - 1.45V max for 24/7 usage.
Most likely you didn't win the silicon lottery and your CPU isn't a 4.0 GHz CPU for 24/7, the voltage increase you describe is quite normal for Ryzen they all do it, yours just sooner than others

Those three options are ther to help protect your CPU. Either your motherboard has a part in it and you are getting a lot of V_Droop we can check that if you post a screen shot of the system loaded with some stability test and have HWinfo open .
That being said 1.5V is quite high for Ryzen, AMD recommends 1.35V - 1.45V max for 24/7 usage.
Most likely you didn't win the silicon lottery and your CPU isn't a 4.0 GHz CPU for 24/7, the voltage increase you describe is quite normal for Ryzen they all do it, yours just sooner than others

hello mr johan. these are shots you told me to take - 3.9Ghz - 1.42vcore - actually if i go for 4Ghz and 1.5vcore with all protections off and do stress it could be harmfull for my hardwares as you and mr trents said. so as long as i dont find safe settings and voltages i prefer to not to go for 4Ghz again.
prime.jpg
next part...
Prime 2.jpg

i forgot to say its actually 1.425 vcore in bios - when i type 1.42000 it jumps to 1.42500 automatically. and i dont know why!!!

Last edited:
Do you notice that same .025 step when typing in other voltages? That is quite a large step.

Do you notice that same .025 step when typing in other voltages? That is quite a large step.

i only change vcore and ram voltages - no i dont have problem with ram voltage.
according to previous shots i sent - do you think there must be problem with current voltage while stressing cpu with Prime95? HWinfo shows current voltage 1.369 middle of stressing. shouldn't be it 1.42 or some thing closer to it ? why is this drop voltage for ?

Last edited:
i wonder what does (Ambient max) means ? does it means safe voltage for 24/7 uses ?

volts for ryzen.JPG

Ambient max i maximum voltage for ambient cooling such as air coolers and water coolers which are at room temperature.

If you look in your first picture you'll see max voltage of 1.425V which is OK for 24/7 but next to it the current voltage is only 1.369V. That's what the set voltage is dropping to under load, using the LLC you should be able to even that up or at least get them closer. You'll need to test the LLC levels to se which one will give you close to,not over the 1.425V you have set in BIOS. You still may not be able to achieve 4.0 GHz but maybe 3.95GHz is in the cards.

Ambient max i maximum voltage for ambient cooling such as air coolers and water coolers which are at room temperature.

If you look in your first picture you'll see max voltage of 1.425V which is OK for 24/7 but next to it the current voltage is only 1.369V. That's what the set voltage is dropping to under load, using the LLC you should be able to even that up or at least get them closer. You'll need to test the LLC levels to se which one will give you close to,not over the 1.425V you have set in BIOS. You still may not be able to achieve 4.0 GHz but maybe 3.95GHz is in the cards.

thank you for your reply.
i setted LLC (for CPU and North Bridge) on mode 4 already . i will try with mode 2 which means (high) in other mobos i guess, and going for 4Ghz with 1.42vcore again (only for stability tests and vcore monitoring)

however its totally stable this way. i mean LLC mode 4 with 3.9Ghz . i've tested several stresses and video convertion programs and games for hours.

Last edited:
I just pointed out what's happening under load to your core voltage. If you're happy with what you have then leave it that way. You can also save that OC profile in BIOS and then tinker some more to see exactly what you can squeeze out of it. If it all falls apart you still have your saved profile to fall back on.

First I would recommend you get your LLC set so you don't have so much VDroop ....... 1.344v to 1.406v that's quite a big droop ...... put your ram back down to stock settings and get your OC stable before you tweak your ram, your ram may not be stable at 3200 or is playing havoc with your memory controller causing your instability...... Ram plays a much bigger role with the AMD RYZEN CPU because of compatibility issues. And like Johan has already said maybe your chip can't run 4 GHZ all cores 24/7 OC"D.

First I would recommend you get your LLC set so you don't have so much VDroop ....... 1.344v to 1.406v that's quite a big droop ...... put your ram back down to stock settings and get your OC stable before you tweak your ram, your ram may not be stable at 3200 or is playing havoc with your memory controller causing your instability...... Ram plays a much bigger role with the AMD RYZEN CPU because of compatibility issues. And like Johan has already said maybe your chip can't run 4 GHZ all cores 24/7 OC"D.

i setted LLC to mode 2 , same result- OS freezes while stressing on 4Ghz 1.425v even 1.45v

as i said before it can be stable 4Ghz - 1.45v but i must disabe cpu over voltage protection - cpu under voltage protection and cpu over current protection. i dont wanna risk. i did it once and i got 1750 CINEBENCH r15 score.

i'm tired of Overclocking, its been almost 1 month i'm trying reach stable 4Ghz with safe voltage. mybe mr johan is right, silicon quallity is low.
however my last chanse is to set ram to stock level and try again as you said (i do when i got home) or i can wait for new bios update for my mobo. i've always had problems with MSI mobos, i dont know why i bought MSI again :(

nevermind i still have my 1714 CINEBENCH R15 score with 3.9Ghz 1.42vcore stable . this is good for now...

i don't wanna bothering you with my questions. Thank you All for trying Help me.

Last edited:
It's not a bother that's what we're here for. I had a couple MSI X370 boards which I felt were quite good but MSI was slow with BIOS releases

Sorry, I wasn't clear in what I was asking. I was talking about different levels of vcore, not the voltages assigned to other components. So do you see these same .025 step adjustment limitations at lower vcore levels such as between 1.3 and 1.4 such that you can go either 1.3 or 1.325 but not 1.31 for instance?

Sorry, I wasn't clear in what I was asking. I was talking about different levels of vcore, not the voltages assigned to other components. So do you see these same .025 step adjustment limitations at lower vcore levels such as between 1.3 and 1.4 such that you can go either 1.3 or 1.325 but not 1.31 for instance?

yes, but some times it jumps to less vcore for example when i type 1.4400 it jumps to 1.4375 - Only 1.4500 is exact 1.4500 - do you wanna say its bios bug maybe ?

Bios bug? Maybe. It's not unusual for bioses to limit the "granularity" of adjustments to parameters it's just that steps of .025 is a very coarse granularity. I would contact MSI about this issue in order to see if this is normal behavior for this motherboard. As it is, it's very awkward to work with and either gives you considerably less vcore than what you need to be stable or so much more that temps can become a problem as well as stress on the components.

The voltage steps in BIOS are pretty normal for most motherboards. Input of 1.42V will give you 1.425V in BIOS. If you upgrade to an "Extreme" board voltage adjustments can be very exact but there's a cost for that.

hello again. finally i found the solution. i just setted these 3 options to enable instead of (Auto or disable)
1-cpu over voltage protection
2-cpu under voltage protection
3-cpu over current protection
in my first comment in this topic i said: (when they're ON i cant reach 4.0Ghz) i ment auto - i've never tested (Enable) for these three options till now.
now i can OC 1800x with Lower voltage (1.38 vcore) for 3.925Ghz and it's completely stable. also i can reach to 4Ghz with 1.45vcore

the problem is idle voltage is 1.38 and full load voltage is 1.38 too . voltage never goes under 1.38 like when amd cool and quite was enable.
however idle and full load temps are normal this way.
idle : cpu 33C - vrm 42C
full load : cpu 60C - vrm 78C

i think everything is okay now .

Last edited:
Back