• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 2000 series in the spring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
While of course there's nothing official on the specs yet they have been confirmed to be zen+ cores and the 12nm process is expected to improve clock speed. I've been planning a threadripper build but since I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet I'm thinking Ryzen 7 2xxx might tilt my opinion.

New chipset is an optional upgrade. Current motherboards will require a bios update that's all.

I really hope they can hit around the 4.5Ghz mark with these as a minimum. Intel did make some more progress in performance and cores with coffee lake, however the availability and inflated prices meant it hasn’t been there best chip launches in a long time.

If you can get a ryzen 5 2600 (if that will be the naming scheme) with 6 cores hitting 4.5 at around the same price point that the 1600 is at then I think intel have to get worried again and more people will move to amd.

I mean, who knows until its out...

what do you think joe? 5ghz? i think so, just my unscientific guessarooni. would be nice. the good thing i like about when amd does these refreshes like on the fx the last gen second hand price plummets might be time for me to upgrade my server in the spring ;)

I would expect OC up to 4.5GHz but not really 5GHz. Also hard to say if new chipset won't be required. The same as for Intel CL CPUs, new chipset isn't required but they still locked CPU support for 100/200 series chipsets. Simply we won't know for sure till it's released.
I wouldn't complain if I could use my current AM4 board for new processors but hard to say if will be good enough regarding BIOS and other features.

I feel like Ryzen is "beta" product and there are still things which are not finished. It will take maybe 1 more generation till we get "full product". Early but still delayed Ryzen premiere was just desperation from AMD side. It doesn't mean that Ryzen is bad but there are too many little issues and things which are not official like constant additions in AGESA, memory support etc. Things that should be available since first day after premiere, not half year+ or in next CPU generation.

what do you think joe? 5ghz? i think so, just my unscientific guessarooni. would be nice. the good thing i like about when amd does these refreshes like on the fx the last gen second hand price plummets might be time for me to upgrade my server in the spring ;)
I'm going to say 4.5 GHz max. 25% increases in overclocks via process change I don't recall seeing in the past.

But yeah, speculative thread is speculative... nobody knows what Zen+ is going to bring... Zen2 is what I would wait for, honestly.

I hope that they have taken care of the cold bug in the mem. IIRC this is just like the Phenom release. The first round products OCed like crap but the revised Phenom II OCed like MAD :)

and I was about to strip out all my am3 and am3+ stuff and throw it all on the junk pile and replace it all with 2 threadripper builds.
I guess I might as well strip it all out, junk pile it, pull my 6386 Opteron stuff out of the junk pile and wait till this drops....... about early next winter, if amd holds to the ryzen release.

with 8 [email protected], I'll be happy to finally leave the blue team! If and only if goes that high. If not, will hold on my good old 5820K till Ryzen 2 or whatever lake is the next Intel gen name.

I feel like Ryzen is "beta" product and there are still things which are not finished. It will take maybe 1 more generation till we get "full product". Early but still delayed Ryzen premiere was just desperation from AMD side. It doesn't mean that Ryzen is bad but there are too many little issues and things which are not official like constant additions in AGESA, memory support etc. Things that should be available since first day after premiere, not half year+ or in next CPU generation.

I recently put together a new setup with a week 46 Ryzen 7 1700X and it's the first Ryzen system of the half dozen or so I've built that "runs like an Intel". No issues of any kind so maybe they've incorporated some process improvements and moved beyond that beta phase. For all of my prior Ryzen builds I agree with you completely.

if that's all' I guess I'll pass and order some intel gear.
I wonder if I'll ever be able to build another new amd rig.............

AMD has been fair with chipset changes in the past: not much of a handicap if you don't have the latest chipset on a given socket.

As said earlier, if Ryzen 1.2 overclocks in the 4.5GHz+ range, I am in. If not, well, Ryzen 2 it will be!

Back