• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mag10

So ever since ryzen launched I have been watching and waiting pending more support and now im stuck on my new build as the GPU market is flipping bonkers.

My question however is in regards to the CPU itsself, I have had my eye on the R5 1600(non-x). I feel it is a very good stop up from my current FX 8320(non-e). I have discussed this at length a few times with my co-worker who is also fairly savvy in this area but went with a 7700k and 1080TI a few months back. He feels I should get atleast an R7 1700(for future use scenarios). I am not wholely convinced yet. I dont feel I would need 8c12t for atleast a few years, which would probably be the time i upgrade again as is. I feel spending the $$ on the 1700 would probably be a waste as I dont do much that would really take advantage of the CPU.

Anyone else care to weigh in on this?:confused:

I do office productivity, heavily into multi tasking, and of course gaming.

I agree with your assessment. You will not be taking advantage of the extra processing power of the 1700 with the computing tasks you outline. A Ryzen 1600 overclocked to about 3.8 will give you the same processing power as an overclocked 7700k or even a little better in all but games and will be not far behind it even in games.

I appreciate the swift reply Trents. The only change to my mindset is I may assist in getting a youtube established for someone, however I feel at that time I will simply build a dedicated system for that. Not to mention this is a ways out.

Back