• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen cpu not downclocking is that fine? will not degrade life?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Doomer

Hey everyone,

i have one more question about my pc
i noticed that my cpu is not downclocking when idle it just stays at the same clock speed and voltage i gave it..
i did this because if i set c states enabled my vcore goes up pretty high for my liking 1.3-1.4v but when i disabled it i have it running at 1.2v
but does running my cpu at 100% speed and voltage will this degrage my cpu over time or not rly?
i believe if you use ''high performance power plan'' itll do the same thing as if you have c states enabled so im pretty sure its fine?
since a lot of people use the high performance plan...

my cpu is a ryzen 5 1500x 3.5ghz btw
i rly want to avoid c states cause of the voltage it gives so i hope its ok

When you manually set the core frequency, all cores will run at that speed all the time. The cores will not dynamically adjust to load. Manually set voltage, on the other hand will still fluctuate to some degree based on load and what you have your LLC set to.

AMD has stated that 1.35 vcore is the max you should run for 24/7 use without appreciable degradation of the CPU lfe.

When you manually set the core frequency, all cores will run at that speed all the time. The cores will not dynamically adjust to load. Manually set voltage, on the other hand will still fluctuate to some degree based on load and what you have your LLC set to.

AMD has stated that 1.35 vcore is the max you should run for 24/7 use without appreciable degradation of the CPU lfe.

ah ok so its perfectly normal then,also when i set my voltage i made a mistake an accidently set it to 1.6v i posted it about it earlier but i wanted your opinion too,as soon as i set it to 1.6v i rebooted went back into the bios and i noticed right away it was 1.6v i then changed it back real fast... it was maybe at 1.6v for like 1 minute maybe even less..did this cause any damage? i posted and most people said nah because i changed it back real fast what do u think?
and thanks btw :)

You and degradation, doomer, lol... three threads! :p

As was said, when you overclock, typically the clocks stay up. Since you disabled C-states, this is the expected behavior. Voltage is fine as was mentioned in thread 1. :)

We already answered the 1.6v blip question in the 2nd thread...you're fine. Please enjoy your new CPU. :)

Don't worry about high voltage blips as ED said. They are just momentary spikes and won't hurt anything. When I mentioned a 1.35 vcore as safe, I was referring to VID, what you declare to be your vcore in bios. AMD Ryzen technology will take it from there but it is that baseline I was talking about.

I had a similar question/concern with this. I just found this thread over on Xtreme systems. It is basically saying that if you overclock through AMD Overclocking menu rather than the Tweaker menu (on my board it is called M.I.T. with submenus for Advanced Frequency, Memory and Voltage settings), then you can still have active CC6 modes that allow you to park your core. Perhaps that might be what you want to do?

When I first started messing with manual overclocking, I was adjusting Vcore and Frequency using the submenus in that M.I.T. section (first one I see when entering my BIOS). According to that guide, I would instead leave the Advanced Frequency at Auto, and set the Advanced Voltage to Normal. I would then set my desired frequency and voltage in the AMD overclocking menu under Manual CPU Overclocking.

Last edited:
AMD Overclocking Menu? Do you refer to the Ryzen Master utility?

AMD Overclocking Menu? Do you refer to the Ryzen Master utility?
Inside AMD X570 boards have 'two' overclocking sections, essentially. I believe one works with Ryzen Master. For all intents and purposes, it is one and the same.

No, it is a menu in my BIOS. I haven’t had great luck with Ryzen Master. The testing that it does is fairly weak sauce and the things that pass its stress test do not always make it through cinebench.

Inside AMD X570 boards have 'two' overclocking sections, essentially. I believe one works with Ryzen Master. For all intents and purposes, it is one and the same.

Yeah, I thought so too. However the article I linked above made me think maybe they are different. I have read that undervolting in the Advanced Voltage menu could lead to reduced performance due to something they are calling clock stretching. I don’t totally understand the principles behind that but basically it sounds like the cpu would boot up at a much reduced voltage and report normal frequencies but benchmark with much lower scores like one would assume with reduced voltage.

I am actually undervolting my 3600 because my case is tiny and I only have the cpu cooler fan to circulate air. I was worried about this clock stretching but perhaps because I can undervolting but still run 4.2GHz, I am avoiding??

Back