• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen XFR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

While playing around in the bios of my ASRock AB350M Pro 4 this afternoon that Ryzen gives the ability to change the CPU multiplier in .25x increments. It's called XFR or eXtended Frequency Range.

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/PSA-AMD-XFR-Enabled-All-Ryzen-CPUs-X-SKUs-Have-Wider-Range

This may be old new to a lot of you who have been playing with Ryzen since it was released but this is the first I've heard of it. An the article linked above states that only the R7 CPUs have XFR but apparently that is wrong since my R5 has the ability. I accidentally discovered this while trying to find a way to bump up the BCLK a smidgen since at 38x my software was reporting only 3780 mhz on the CPU. There is no adjustment for the BCLK on my board though.

Any Ryzen CPU has the ability to change the multi by .25 increments. The CPUs with the "X" moniker have XFR which if cooling permits bumps base speed on all cores by 100 MHZ as well as the CPB is extended by 100 MHZ. So take the 1600X for example with a base of 3.6 and 4.0 CPB , XFR will extend that to 3.7 and 4.1 CPB

So the ability to change multi by .25 increments is not related to XFR then.

I guess I misunderstood what the guy was saying in the article.

XFR is also the explanation behind the 20° temp offset on the "X" models. The intention was to kick the fans on sooner so the CPU stays within the "XFR" sweetspot to keep it active.

Ref'ing this AMD press slide, XFR is also on non "X" CPU, but 1/2 the increase as a X CPU.

Dq23xcf.jpg

My R7 1700 on a X370 mobo at stock, under XFR, will touch 3.75GHz and not 3.7GHz.

Back