• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

s939 chipset by ATI is here!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
deception`` said:
Not a bad review at all. However, ATI faces very stiff competition from nVIDIA. It is going to take more than that to sway AMD enthusiasts from the Nforce lineup. And maybe it's just me, but I am not too fond of the AMI bios. Nonetheless, I will sit tight and see what they have to offer in the coming months.

deception``

hd audio with the sb450 will sway me from nvidia though i share your dislike of ami bios.

to all those who are complaining about onboard vid,
if you actually read the article it says many times there is a version with and without onboard vid.

very interesting....competition is always good. Im looking forward to a decent integrated graphics solution, for me it frees up more cash for other stuff, like a faster processor or the watercooling setup i've been putting off for a few years now. I dont really do alot of serious gaming anyway, and 3dmark scores really dont mean crap to me, I just like a fast machine that is capable of doing whatever I want it to do.

I like it. However it seems strange that they omitted the integrated LAN. Chipsets fot the Athlon 64 really do need to differentitate themselves with features.

Due to the fact that the memory controller is now integrated into the CPU, performance differences between boards using different chipsets will be minimal........

As for graphics performance, who cares. Even my old overclocked Geforce4 MX440 will play DOOM 3 okay.....

Last edited:
baberpervez said:
My previous 9200SE managed to play virtually every game exept for the high end suckers (Doom III, Farcry) so the X300 isn't bad for most people.

Not bad for most people now maybe, but this is a long way from newegg yet, and by the time its there, that 9200 performance will look even worse and the games it can play will be even older. ;)

Interesting to see though, will be watching.

mjw21a said:
I like it. However it seems strange that they omitted the integrated LAN. Chipsets fot the Athlon 64 really do need to differentitate themselves with features.

Due to the fact that the memory controller is now integrated into the CPU, performance differences between boards using different chipsets will be minimal........

As for graphics performance, who cares. Even my old overclocked Geforce4 MX440 will play DOOM 3 okay.....
NO NO NO!
It has onboard Gigabit Ethernet!
Read the article and the spec sheet
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2269&p=3

Arrggg, how disgusting. Integrated Realtek LAN. Couldn't they have gone a little more upmarket and used integrated Broadcom Gigabit?!

Ill tell you whats wrong with onboardvideo, just that its onboard. If it fails your forced into a freakin pci card video and that just sucks... besidse if you want to game, get some cash and get a decent video card... I got mine for like 190$... and its got a 15gb+ bandwidth... Unreal Graphics... dont get caught bringing onboard video to a lan near my pad, youd get laughed out the door.

Aceshigh said:
Ill tell you whats wrong with onboardvideo, just that its onboard. If it fails your forced into a freakin pci card video and that just sucks... besidse if you want to game, get some cash and get a decent video card... I got mine for like 190$... and its got a 15gb+ bandwidth... Unreal Graphics... dont get caught bringing onboard video to a lan near my pad, youd get laughed out the door.
remind me to never bring my laptop (mobility9700) to your lans ;)

Aceshigh said:

Not if you bought the right board in the first place. Any decent board will allow you to add in a AGP or PCI-E card and either disable the onboard or use it for a second monitor.

If you got a board without the additional slot, I'd suggest that was your mistake. I'd also suggest that ATI is aiming for the corporate market with this product. Thats where the money is.

That's good that ATI finally took another lunge at nVIDIA, but personally, I would rather stick with the nForce 4 Ultra still. According to all the reviews, the NF4 always seems to be higher (better) than the XPress.

I wonder how much ATI paid AMD to support them... hahaha

Swatdog said:
That's good that ATI finally took another lunge at nVIDIA, but personally, I would rather stick with the nForce 4 Ultra still. According to all the reviews, the NF4 always seems to be higher (better) than the XPress.

hmmm i wonder too i guess it shouldnt of been that much ( maybe to us the $$$ £££ would be lol )

i seriously think that this chipset might go into consumer products...like Dells and Compaqs...mostly cause it has stuff like onboard video...no onboard LAN...stuff like that...

Aceshigh said:

mjw21a said:
Not if you bought the right board in the first place. Any decent board will allow you to add in a AGP or PCI-E card and either disable the onboard or use it for a second monitor.

If you got a board without the additional slot, I'd suggest that was your mistake. I'd also suggest that ATI is aiming for the corporate market with this product. Thats where the money is.

you guys are all talking as though enthusiast boards will have the onboard vid included. remember the board in the review is just a reference board. the chipset does exist without the onboard vid functionality. i don't know any enthusiast boards that have ever used onboard vid. yea they're aiming for the corporate market with the onboard vid but with oc numbers like there is no way we won't see some performance mobos directed our way.

jcw122 said:
i seriously think that this chipset might go into consumer products...like Dells and Compaqs...mostly cause it has stuff like onboard video...no onboard LAN...stuff like that...
OMG, for the third time, this new ATI chipset for s939 DOES HAVE ONBOARD LAN :rolleyes:

The only problem I see with it is that for the athlon64, there is little performance difference between chipsets used. Since it is all about features, what does this offer over nforce4 or vise versa?

Quailane said:
The only problem I see with it is that for the athlon64, there is little performance difference between chipsets used. Since it is all about features, what does this offer over nforce4 or vise versa?

well overclocking potential with ram at 1t based on the article. other than that this chipset is basically the same as nvidia is offering.

gvblake22 said:
OMG, for the third time, this new ATI chipset for s939 DOES HAVE ONBOARD LAN :rolleyes:

Yes, you ARE correct:

Anandtech.com: ATI RS480 Reference Board Specifications said:
CPU Interface: Socket 939 Athlon 64
Chipset: RS480/SB400
Bus Speeds: 200MHz to 320MHz
PCI Express Speeds: PCIe FIX at 100MHz to 200MHz (in 1MHz increments)
Core Voltage: 1.0V to 1.7V in 0.025V increments
CPU Clock Multiplier: 4X-25.5X in 0.5X increments
CPU Auto Tuning: Off to 15% in 1% increments
HyperTransport Frequency: 1000MHz (1GHz)
HyperTransport Multiplier: 1X, 2X, 4X, 5X
DRAM Voltage: 2.6V, 2.85V
AGP Voltage: None available on Reference Board
HyperTransport Voltage: None available on Reference Board
Memory Slots: Four 184-pin DDR DIMM Slots Dual-Channel Configuration
Regular Unbuffered Memory to 4GB Total
Expansion Slots:
1 x16 PCIe Slot
3 x1 PCIe Slots
2 PCI Slots
1 Dedicated Communications Riser
Onboard SATA/SATA RAID: 4 Drives by SB400 (RAID 0, 1)
Onboard IDE/IDE RAID: Two Standard ATA133/100/66 (4 drives)
Onboard USB 2.0/IEEE-1394: 8 USB 2.0 ports supported by SB400
2 Firewire 1394A by VIA VT6306
Onboard LAN: 1x Gigabit Ethernet by Realtek 8110S-32
Onboard Audio: AC '97 2.3 8-Channel by Realtek ALC655
BIOS Revision: AMI AMBU-B10 11/02/2004

It is Realtek though. :rolleyes:

Quailane said:

The performance between the XPress 200 and the nForce 4 Ultra are so incredibly close it's suspicious. That's why I would rather stick with the NF4 because there's more features, larger selection of boards from different companies, not all are mATX, and lets face it: nVIDIA has a better reputation than ATI does at making chipsets (although ATI did say on their website that they have shipped 15,000,000 chipsets in the last 3 years or something).

Swatdog said:

Probably nothing dude. The question is whether AMD paid ATI to support their platform. It's AMD who needs the support, not ATI......

Intel can charge for the right for people to make chipsets for their platform because their chipset market is much larger. Also, Intel doesn't especially care if anyone makes chipsets. Remember: Intel also make their own chipsets. ;)

mjw21a said:
Probably nothing dude. The question is whether AMD paid ATI to support their platform. It's AMD who needs the support, not ATI......

Intel can charge for the right for people to make chipsets for their platform because their chipset market is much larger. Also, Intel doesn't especially care if anyone makes chipsets. Remember: Intel also make their own chipsets. ;)

Why would AMD want ATI to make chipsets for their platforms? They already have 2 other companies out there (VIA, nVIDIA) that are of the same/similar in performace.

Back