• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth 990FX fsb increase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Culprit identified: RAM modules suck.

I changed them with a couple of Corsair Vengeance, and FSB goes over 300.

Thing is this CPU is cr.p.

It need 1.6v to boot into [email protected].

GOing to make a run of CB11.5 anyway, and then try the RAM with the A-4000
3.9.jpg

That might have a bit to do with cooling as well manu2b. I wasn't much higher maybe 4.1 with sub-zero water.
OK I take that back. That's getting up there.

Nice to see you got it sorted out though.

Last edited:
When what we see as strange...

...might be a big clue to an idea. You probably did but I don't remember the make and model of the ram that caused the problem. But no matter hardly, it was no good for performance even at DDR3-1200. That is pretty far below the default standard of DDR3-1333. So how exactly could we ever think the ram that would not support the higher FSB ever have been much good? I wonder.

Some many years ago, I did a little working for OCZ and some interesting items came to my understanding. Mostly in the era of DDR2 and beginnings of DDR3. What interested me most was the idea that fast ram could be slowed in speed and the timings tightened. Going thru the number of companies making the memory iCs back then was a revealing. Some ram would bin at high speed and looser timings and for some reason I never spent the time to uncover; it would not slow and tighten well at all. I have seen some kits like this back when I used to go thru a lot of ram types and brands. The main thing I took away from this tidbit of information was to as humanly as possible to buy very good ram to begin with.

Of course company policy can change, but when Kingston made the announcement that no matter the IC, they felt comfortable using any IC in combination to make ram sticks and that a ram kit might not be composed of ram sticks of matching ICs. Shett. That is from the era when DDR2 ram was going thru a time of good ICs changing to also ran ICs. I never forgot such; closing in on a decade now, I have steered far away from Kiingston ram. Companies should always remember that a BAD WORD sticks far longer than many 'good words'. Years ago Intel said they would (probably within reason) always have a performance cpu to sell. They also said that "performance" cpu would come at a hefty cost. Probably 8 years after that statement, it is still holding accurate.

Overtime many of the industry participants have made far reaching statements that should have been clues to 'mind-set'. For some reason I have seemed to be tapped between the eyes by some things I have seen. When OCZ was leaving the ram market, I swapped to G Skill because I had seen their support at work. You shoot straight with them and they gave no problems with RMAs for the majority of users. I have not been disappointed yet in nearly 5 years.

I guess all I am saying is that there are maybe history making statements about company mind-set, that if followed on with can save one from a headache at some point in time. I often think that we major on the wrong thing in our purchases. I have a GM car that had I known what I know today...would not be in my driveway. Models similar to the one I have are failing historically in the same general area. An absolute pain. Hehehe. Certain tidbits of information have formed my buying habits and holding to certaini principles have helped me to be clear of some of the failures that are prone to hit us in the DIY computer hobby.

Oh well, just an old faht sharing a little of his thoughts over time playing the computer hobby with forays into overclocking for nearly 15 years now.
RGone...ster.

Back