• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

istari675

I am trying to get the temps down in my system. Everything seems to be running well except for my PCI-1 slot temp. Every time I play a higher end game it hits 60C and throws me a warning. I am also running into video driver crashes in heaven benchmark which I believe is also related to the heat. The card in that slot is an ASUS GTX 660 DCU2 and its load temp is 70C. I don't know how to reduce the temp on the slot though since there is no heatsink for the slot to aim airflow at. The Vcore is still pretty hot too, but it doesn't throw me warnings until it hits 80C. Here's my hardware list, temps (from HWMonitor + Thermal Radar), and a link to a picture of my setup.

FX-8350 4.5 @ 1.4v
H80i CPU Cooler
Sabertooth 990fx R2.0
2x ASUS GTX 660 DCU2 @ Core 1150 Memory 1600
Rosewill Hive 650

CPU Core - 52
CPU Socket - 61
Motherboard - 39
VCore 1 - 70
VCore 2 - 59
NB-HT - 47
DRAM - 35
USB3 1 - 47
USB3 2 - 36
PCI 1 - 60
PCI 2 - 51

GPU 1 - 70
GPU 2 - 61

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6sbbeo&s=8#.U5OVXPldV2N

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2hg9u7n&s=8#.U5OVO_ldV2M

istari, welcome to the forum. I'm a bit confused exactly what is troubling you so lets get down to brass tacks. I do know anything about the Sabertooth Thermal radar and I have found that the Asus software will throw out erroneous error messages from time to time, therefore I do not have it installed. Your best bet so we can all get on the same page is download Hwmonitor "non pro" open it and run whatever games you use that concern you. Then post back here a screen shot of Hwmonitor using the inforum attachment tool so we can have a peek under the hood.
View attachment 145074

Last edited:
Just to add a few things istari675, you're running an SLI system so the top card is always going to be hotter and 10c is about normal. We would also like to know what case you have all this in. As for the driver crashes in heaven do you have the cards OC'd at all? If so does it still crash when running at stock? Have you tried different drivers? Running SLI isn't always just plug and play especially when it comes to drivers. Some drivers work really well and some just don't work at all.

In hardware monitor my temps are fine, but it doesn't have all the sensors that thermal radar has access to though. I'm using a closed loop liquid cooling system on my CPU so it seems to be limiting the airflow on the chipset heatsink and really heating up all the stuff in that area. I have run into extremely high/low readings but this seems to just happen when I have other temp software running at the same time. I have fixed the crashing since I posted this but I have no idea how. Still getting that PCIE-1 60C warning everytime I play anything demanding though. Should I just ignore that since the HWMonitor temps are fine?

Here's the chassis i'm using.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146084

HWMonitor_Screenshot.png

Last edited:
How many case fans are installed? From reading the specs on newegg it says 2? Start by filling that thing with fans. Your temps aren't terrible but they could be better. Using the Gpu's you have, you're just heating up the inside of the case so getting more airflow will help. Additionally using an AIO H20 heatsink does not get the airflow across the VRM/NB heatsinks that an Air Heatsink would. So adding airflow through the case and also mounting fans directly on the VRM/NB Heatsinks will help.

I actually have 4 120mm case fans, along with the 2 120mm fans on the radiator for my CPU doing intake. I have tried it as intake and exhaust and temps are overall much better when its on intake. I am using 4 pin splitters to adjust the 3 pin case fan speeds using thermal radar.

I did some pretty ghetto mounting on a 92mm fan to the chipset heatsinks and it reduced the temps a bit, but it needs to be full blast just to stop that 60c pcie warning. I did this before I took the pictures I have in the original post. I have so many fans in there in the standard front intake rear exhaust configuration.

I copied this from the newegg site.

Cooling System

120mm Fans
FRONT: 2 x 120mm
REAR: 1 x 120mm @ 1200rpm (included)
BOTTOM: 1 x 120mm

140mm Fans
TOP: 2 x 120 / 140mm (1 x 140mm included)

Side Air duct
No
You might add two 120mm fans to the door to pull outside air in and hit those GPU cards.

Do you think doing that would reduce the PCIE slot temps? When I looked into it I saw that 70c was a good temp for the gtx 660. If I were to get fans on the side I would hit my limit for chassis fans. I have 2 fan headers already split, one to plug in the h80i pump, another for the chipset fan, and the cpu headers are both filled with the cpu fans.

Do you think doing that would reduce the PCIE slot temps? When I looked into it I saw that 70c was a good temp for the gtx 660. If I were to get fans on the side I would hit my limit for chassis fans. I have 2 fan headers already split, one to plug in the h80i pump, another for the chipset fan, and the cpu headers are both filled with the cpu fans.

The Pci-e temps are the temps of the Gpu's the only way to cool the gpu better is either turn up the fans on the gpu or get colder air in the case. When running SLI/Xfire the top card will run hotter then the bottom.

As far as putting splitters on the fan headers make sure you don't go above the amperage draw on the header because you will burn them out. They are usually good for 1 amp. You can go get yourself a fan controller such as a sunbeam like this. They work great for multiple fans.

Thermal radar is popping up warnings because the slot itself is hitting 60c. Its the software that came with the motherboard and its the same manufacturer of the video card so it feels dangerous to just ignore it.

I only put 2 fans on a splitter when they are low RPM. I have the CPU fans on a header alone because they go up to 2600 RPM, but the case fans that I split only go up to 1200 on max load.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103052

There's no listing on how many amps these fans use but if a single header can power a fan safely at 2600 RPM im sure a single one can handle 2 fans running at 1200.

Just tried putting 2 120mm fans on the side slot. Reduced the temp of the hottest graphics card from 71c to 68c. The rest of the temps remained unchanged, or ran hotter because of the change.

Last edited:
Thermal radar is popping up warnings because the slot itself is hitting 60c. Its the software that came with the motherboard and its the same manufacturer of the video card so it feels dangerous to just ignore it.
Sorry I read up more on the thermal radar, from looking at images of it it does look like the sensor is in the Pci-E slot. That said I have never heard of anyone worrying about the Pci-E slot temperature nor have I ever hear of one overheating. When you have HWmonitor open does the Pci-E slot correlate with the temp on the GTX 660's?

When the system is completely idle the top card is at 40C, and the slot temp is at 45C. During graphics load the top card goes up to 70C, and the slot temp sticks to 58C. Load slot temp was up to at high as 65C without that chipset fan, and I can only get it under 60C with the fan running full blast, which is incredibly loud. I think the slot is being heated up so much because of heat coming from the GPU, and VCore which gets as hot as 70C.

Maybe when Johan pops back on he may be more help then myself. I've never dealt with the thermal radar readings and truth be told, I would think that if the Pci temps were really important. They would have those same readings on my Crosshair V Formula, which they do not. The readings sound more for show then anything to me and again I have never head of anyone being concerned about Pci-E temps on their motherboard. I don't want to dismiss your concern and it may be viable, but I would just be keeping an eye on the Gpu temps and Cpu package/socket temps and that's all.

Alright I hope Johan comes back to this thread then. Really any help would be amazing. I don't want this motherboard to burn out in a few months because I misunderstood something.

Alright I hope Johan comes back to this thread then. Really any help would be amazing. I don't want this motherboard to burn out in a few months because I misunderstood something.

Just to help you visualize things, everything I have mrked when under load get to 60c and that's normal. That heatsink right above the PCI slot is the NB chipset good up to probably 80-90c or higher. You've got a GFX card in that slot that can run up to 80-90c without damage. There are a lot of hot parts all concentrated in that area and the board is designed to dissipate that heat into the air. I don't mean to sound dismissive but if you uninstall thermal radar like I'm sure has been suggested you won't get that warning anymore. The AISuite that came with that board is so buggy, throws out strange warnings all the time that if were true my PC should have already shut down dozens of times but it hasn't.I've used the software and still do but I ignore everything it tells me. It's buggy and unstable software and I wouldn't suggest that anyone use it on their AMD systems.

1 hot PCI.JPG

Just tried putting 2 120mm fans on the side slot. Reduced the temp of the hottest graphics card from 71c to 68c. The rest of the temps remained unchanged, or ran hotter because of the change.

Try those fans in both directions, i had the best luck with mine when I had the fan exhausting. It was situated at the back of the case and in the middle of the 2 cards. Most cards exhaust a lot of hot air in the case and this pulled a lot of it out for me but each scenario can be different and only trial and error will tell for sure.

Last edited:
ive been looking at your pics and am i right in assuming your water cooler is at the front of your case and if so why your blowing hot air strait at the vcores mine is at the back blowing out of the case
my temps on load are
cpu - 55 with 1st fan at 1800rpm and the 2nd at 1100rpm
mb - 36
vcore 1 - 55
vcore 2 - 54
nb-ht - 45
dram - 35
usb3 -1 - 42
usb3- 2 - 38
pcie 1 - 55 with the fan set at 54%
pcie 2 - 40 not used
and i was looking on here to see if i could get my temps down seems mine are pretty good

From those numbers it would appear to be, if you like you could start a thread of your own and give us some screen shots. Then we can have a look a what's going on. You know this thread is about a year old already.

yes i might do when i figure out how to post pics ive built all my puters and friends puters but don't do much I T and ive had another play and nocked another few degrees off

To add pics just look to the icons at the top of the reply box and select the third one from the right. You can upload from a web page or your PC.

Back