• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth X79 or P9X79LE ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's not even that though...Ivy Bridge doesn't run unnecessarily hot. It doesn't run any hotter then a AMD Bulldozer or my first generation i7 does. It's more that Sandy Bridge was exceptionally cool running than Ivy Bridge being hot.

I guess people just got used to only having to shell out $30 for a heatsink to take a chip to high clocks...versus $50+ for most other CPUs.

It would be nice to see a "ivy bridge vs. sandy bridge" matchup where the advantages and disadvantages of each cpu are outlined as well as performance and overclocking ability.

I see a LOT of people being favorable to Ivy bridge cpus, I guess because they're the newest in a particlar chipset.

Personally, I think the advantages and disadvantages of each come out almost even.

My rule of thumb is simply this. If the difference between the two is more than $20, I would go with Sandy. If it's smaller, go with Ivy.

Personally, I think the advantages and disadvantages of each come out almost even.

My rule of thumb is simply this. If the difference between the two is more than $20, I would go with Sandy. If it's smaller, go with Ivy.

Meaning, you'd spend more for the Sandy I assume? even if the Ivy is smaller? Or spend less for the Ive because it's smaller?

Diffifcult to determine if you're a frugal spender with CPUs or someone who don't consider price, but rather considers quality/performance/reliability where price is no issue.:confused:

I guess I need a crash course in CPUs "101" since I haven't been following them as closely as the early days of "Pentium" and "Celeron". lol
I'm just jumping in ahead of the "game" to LGA 2011 where Sandy is the only choice on this platform, though 3930 would be better than 3820, but I'm not gonna pay double. Maybe for $20 more!
I think I read somewhere where Xeon is also compatible?

Last edited:
Ivy would be the more expensive one, since it's newer. I'm all about price/performance ratio, lol.

Thing with 2011 is that the 3820 is almost the same CPU as the 2600K/2700K...2011 is for
1. You need triple SLI or more and need all the PCIe slots.
2. You need crazy amounts of RAM
3. You need a hexacore

I don't need SLI for now, but I do like the option (within 2011) to utilize it in the future. All I ever use is one monitor or ever had hooked to a board. SLI is not a new technology. I know, when thats the case, people say "well then you don't need yada yada yada...."

RAM on the other hand, it seems you can NEVER have too much, because my "rule of thumb" is, with each passing year, apps never cease to demand more of it, and if you don't have have it............time to salvage/rebuild. Sure, you can get by now with 4 or 8 gigs very comfortably, but what about 10 years from now, when all you might want to do with the rig is surf the net or run a few office apps? You see, every "off the shelf" computer I've purchased in the past, by the time I loaded a few apps, it got full mighty quick where it made it practically obsolete with no room to expand. Since I'm going to spend the money, I'm going a different route to get the most RAM available on a board.

I'll get a hexacore in a couple years when the price falls and the clock speed is maxed out for that platform. I'll have a good foundation to work with without starting over. Of course, hardware failures could dictate otherwise.

Lets take this notebook I'm using here for example. Its a Sony PCG NV100 maxed out with 512mb of RAM. Its 10yrs old and slow as ...........but its working. I've optimized it about as much as one can do. Still, with the apps on it I'm limited. Forget upgrading apps, much less playing any games. The PSU died on my former desktop (Sony PCV-E203), and I couldn't even find a 135w PSU. It was a great rig in its time, but now long obsolete. The first desktop model to feature a 5XDVD player, thats how old.

You can still get 32GB of RAM on 1155, 64GB on 2011 if you get an 8 slot board.

Remember that you'll be getting a hexacore Ivy Bridge...not a huge jump in performance from what's out right now.

Prices on top-line Intel CPUs also tend not to fall much...you still have to shell out a pretty penny for a 990X.

i doubt that intel will make the mistake of using TIM on the ivy-e's when they come out,or even any future 1155 ivys. not that the heat was unbearable on them i just think they got to much grief over it and probably some loss of sales.

I mean, if they did this with any other CPU, it would burn to a crisp. They did with Ivy because they could, since the chip produces so much less heat. Their enthusiast platform is traditionally 130W chips, almost double the heat output of Ivy (77W). Now since Ivy is so power efficient I wouldn't be surprised if IB-E was actually a j the 100W range...but remember that Sandy is 95W and Intel chose to use solder.

Point being, I think they'll use solder on IB-E, but out of technical necessity.

Last edited:
yea i dont think they would need to solder them ether considering most people who get lga2011 boards are probably going to be running great coolers anyways.

but just the same im sure they will use solder do to public opinions.

yea i dont think they would need to solder them ether considering most people who get lga2011 boards are probably going to be running great coolers anyways.

but just the same im sure they will use solder do to public opinions.

No, no. What I was saying is that the extra two core would produce too much heat for TIM design to handle, so they have to use solder otherwise the chip would be impossible to cool.

77W seems to be near the maximum heat load the TIM design can handle, and Ivy Bridge-E (this is a completely guess on my part) might be around 100W.

Who is to say what Intel will come out with in 2 years for the 2011. Of course we know what is on the horizon, but just like Ivy bridge was a new concept not too long ago, there may be even newer developments to come. Engineers don't just sit on one theory as time moves on. A solution without solder, higher voltages, and more thermal resistance is only a matter of innovative thought, and considering the chipset is larger than the 1155/1366, there is more space considerations. There may be 8 or 10 cores to come. Now imagine that, an octocore processor running 8 dimms.

We are ALL on a need to know basis.

Who is to say what Intel will come out with in 2 years for the 2011. Of course we know what is on the horizon, but just like Ivy bridge was a new concept not too long ago, there may be even newer developments to come. Engineers don't just sit on one theory as time moves on. A solution without solder, higher voltages, and more thermal resistance is only a matter of innovative thought, and considering the chipset is larger than the 1155/1366, there is more space considerations. There may be 8 or 10 cores to come. Now imagine that, an octocore processor running 8 dimms.

We are ALL on a need to know basis.

Intel is pretty open about their timeline...

EDIT: Okay, maybe they're good at making powerpoint slides with lots of information and we're good at stealing them. :p

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ntel+roadmap+2013&spell=1&biw=533&bih=295#p=0

Last edited:
2 years is still a long time in the computing world and with 3d, touchscreen and mobile growing wildly who knows what will happen. I am still waiting for my "Minority Report" Windows X OS where i can move stuff on a screen in the air. Funny enough they made a proto type of this a year or two ago where they were projecting images in mid-air.

Intel is pretty open about their timeline...

EDIT: Okay, maybe they're good at making powerpoint slides with lots of information and we're good at stealing them. :p

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ntel+roadmap+2013&spell=1&biw=533&bih=295#p=0

The funny thing about all those images (glancing at many), is that I didn't see ANY linked to Intel, but rather tech magazines/forums/etc leading me to believe its them who is playing with the powerpoint, not Intel. Who is to say whether Intel tells all of everything they're doing in R&D, since they might not want AMD knowing everything on the bench to stay one step ahead of the competition. Its just my guess.

They are internal powerpoints that are leaked to the public, not published.

Right, just what you "need to know" for now through mid 2013, which is only a year from now.

It'll be interesting to see what that "Haswell" will be all about in terms of clock speed and chipset. You think there will be one for the LGA 2011? Or will the 3690x be the most on the platform?

Back