• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe DDR3 Ram voltage for Haswell

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hubs

Registered
Hi

Just building a new system with the following:

I7 4770K
Gigabyte Z87X-OC MB
Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 RAM 9,10,9,27 CMD16GX3M2A1866C9
Corsair AX760i

At the moment I'm not overclocking as the CPU @ stock, destroys my old I7-960 @4GHZ but I want to run faster ram for gaming.

I ran at 2133mhz fine but on auto it set DRAM volts @1.65 as my kit is only a 1.5v rated, what is the max safe voltage I can run my DRAM at ?

Thanks

Haswell likes higher voltages and anything up to 2V shouldn't be an issue. Most memory chips have now safe voltages at least up to 1.8V so 1.65 is for sure safe.

Thanks for that.

Just out curiosity do you know why some memory is rated for 1.5v and some 1.65v when they can work up to similar voltages ? I picked 1.5v as that's what my MB stated, but it seems from what iv read you can use both ?

Thanks for you help.

Since Intel started to sell 2nd gen of Core CPUs, they said that optimal memory voltage safe for memory controllers is 1.5V ( I don't think they were even sure about it ) , then also memory manufacturers started to make 1.5V memory kits.
Nearly all DDR3 are now being produced in 1.5V compatible with JEDEC standard and that's next reason why manufacturers are usually only tightening timings ( they just don't have to set higher voltage for most chips at lower, still most popular frequency like 1600 ).
Most 2400+ memory kits are still 1.65V.
If you read specification for each newer IC then you see that maximum safe voltage for chips is higher and usually it's 1.8V+ and in latest Hynix you can see ~1.97V.

Thanks for taking the time to explain, Iv been curious for some time.

Thanks Again.

Totaly agree with Woomack but i would not run 24/7 at ~1.65vRAM or just slightly higher on sandy/ivy/haswell. Just for safety.

If you are going to benchmark, then have fun with higher volts.

Back