• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe vcore on motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sheremy01

Registered
I have a GA78LMT-USB3 mother board. I have a FX6300 cpu. To become stable at 4.4GHz I have to apply a voltage of 1.4850. Is this a safe vcore for the board to handle? I also have this corsair ram CMV4GX3M1A1333C9. Would it be safe to slightly overclock it by boosting the FSB to 210?

I have a GA78LMT-USB3 mother board. I have a FX6300 cpu. To become stable at 4.4GHz I have to apply a voltage of 1.4850. Is this a safe vcore for the board to handle? I also have this corsair ram CMV4GX3M1A1333C9. Would it be safe to slightly overclock it by boosting the FSB to 210?

Some of those cheap entry level mobos have to have more cpu voltage to become stable running P95 Blend mode for at least 2 hours without failure. If that is the VCore it takes then it at least is not 1.515V which is all I would use for 24/7 use.

Noone can say what the ram will do. Try it and see if you are still P95 Blend stable for at least 2 hours.
RGone...

Some of those cheap entry level mobos have to have more cpu voltage to become stable running P95 Blend mode for at least 2 hours without failure. If that is the VCore it takes then it at least is not 1.515V which is all I would use for 24/7 use.

Noone can say what the ram will do. Try it and see if you are still P95 Blend stable for at least 2 hours.
RGone...

Will I blow my motherboard though at that voltage? I want to get a much better board in a few months but right now this is what I have. It was my understanding if I use some FSB overclock I wouldn't need as much voltage, which is why I asked about the ram. Is that true?

"I" would not run OVER 1.5125Vcore for 24/7. Now that tells you a MAX Vcore.

Sometimes a combination of FSB and multiplier takes a red hair less Vcore than is used when overclocking only by the multiplier.

EACH and every system setup is different by some small amount. Only YOU can really determine what works and does not work since the keyboard and power supply switch are at your end of this communication.
RGone...

"I" would not run OVER 1.5125Vcore for 24/7. Now that tells you a MAX Vcore.

Sometimes a combination of FSB and multiplier takes a red hair less Vcore than is used when overclocking only by the multiplier.

EACH and every system setup is different by some small amount. Only YOU can really determine what works and does not work since the keyboard and power supply switch are at your end of this communication.
RGone...
I hates when those two get in a fight.

The keyboard and power supply switch that is.

:cool:

Last edited:
Question: Why overclock now when you say you're getting a better board? I personally wouldn't risk the overclocking but I can't call myself part of this place if I said don't.

RGone and I have different standards as to what's safe. My max volts are 1.55. However, I trust my hardware. I think the value RGone has given you is a great safety estimate as for your max 24/7 overclock on your hardware.

No you won't (read: an infinitesimally small chance that can be practically 0) blow your motherboard. You might have to loosen some timings on the RAM if you increase the FSB, but that is very individual based. Or you could change your FSB and multipliers so that you don't have to loosen the RAM timings. Either or, these choices are effectively up to you.

What I would not recommend is let the fx-6300 get above it's thermal safety threshold: 62 degrees Centigrade. But I'm assuming you know this already.

Back