• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung 245T; is this a good choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

videobruce

I'm surprised that there isn't a thread on this monitor.

I was orginally looking for a 22" screen, but after finding 95% (or so) are TN panels I scrapped that idea. 21" screens are few and far between and a 20" would be too small (not many of those either).

So I'm down to a 24". I have a 19" Planar (made by Amtron?) that I have had for close to four years which I love (other than it is terrible for movies) that I want to replace. I don't know what panel it has, but it isn'y a TN. :)

Anyway, I'm leaning towards a Samsung 245T for these reasons and needs;

1. Composite, S-video and component inputs (multimedia monitor),
2. Non TN panel (and hopefully no panel lottery issues),
3. Non reflective screen,
4. Seems to have good reviews.

90% of the usage will be PC work: internet surfing, photo editiing etc. BUT, I did want the capibility to use it has a monitor for my CCTV system and for a external HDTV tuner.

I did notice there seems to be a limitation regarding aspect ratio choices for 4x3 (1.33:1) sources though I'm not exactly sure where the issue is.

Input requested.

2408wfp dell is what I'd get. It's similarily priced with the same inputs and it has samsung's latest s-pva panel and has much better gamut than the 245t and better real-life contrast. The 245T by samsung is the same panel as the 2407WFP dell, so it's a little outdated. You can read more about the differences at TFTcentral.com. That site also has a search engine for lcds so you can find out what type of panel you have.

Here's the review of the 2408WFP along with comparisons to other lcds:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/dell_2408wfp.htm

2408wfp dell is what I'd get. It's similarily priced with the same inputs and it has samsung's latest s-pva panel and has much better gamut than the 245t and better real-life contrast. The 245T by samsung is the same panel as the 2407WFP dell, so it's a little outdated. You can read more about the differences at TFTcentral.com. That site also has a search engine for lcds so you can find out what type of panel you have.

Here's the review of the 2408WFP along with comparisons to other lcds:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/dell_2408wfp.htm

+1 for the Dell 2408WFP.

I really never considered Dell, mainly because;
1. They aren't the manufacture,
2. Their ATX connector PS scam of 6 or 7 years ago where they re-wired the standard looking ATX power cable for their MBs' & PSs' without telling anyone. You use that board or supply elsewhere you end up with either a dead PS, dead MB or both.

(and no, it didn't happen to me)

I really never considered Dell, mainly because;
1. They aren't the manufacture,
2. Their ATX connector PS scam of 6 or 7 years ago where they re-wired the standard looking ATX power cable for their MBs' & PSs' without telling anyone. You use that board or supply elsewhere you end up with either a dead PS, dead MB or both.

(and no, it didn't happen to me)

1. ya so what they rnt the manufacture... there are only a few pannel makers in the world... just dell likes to get really good pannels on their upper end screens

2. who cares about the atx connector crap... they use all standard ATX form factors now, i just put in a new psu and 8800gt in a friends brand new inspiron 530 without probs.

Well you will pay a premium for samsung, but you are pretty much guarenteed a high quality panel and a high quality product.

I believe the 245T ONLY ships with the best panel they offer.

Back