• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung memory with Maximus V Extreme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is there any reason you are buying the mve? It is a great board but completely overkill for 99% of users.

:welcome: to OCF!

Since you are going "top-flite" with the MVE motherboard... I would consider looking at some higher speed sticks with greater overclocking potential. The following choices all are spec'd with highly binned Samsung ic.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0311420&IsNodeId=1&name=DDR3 2600 (PC3 20800)

I have not run those low profile Samsung sticks yet but I would think that they would run fine with ASUS boards... from what I've read maybe up to ~2133/2200/(2400?) max.

Janus, I would agree that it is probably overkill. Basically I bought it because I've gotten myself hooked on the overclocking thing, and it's got some really neat features to play with (I'm a putzer by nature). Not to mention, it looks really good in my blue powdercoated case, with the red sleeved wiring and white hoses :cool:.

PolRoger, thank you for the welcome! I've been reading these forums for quite some time, and there is a wealth of knowledge here. The GSkill Trident X series was always the plan, but I haven't ordered it yet, and today found myself in a hurry to get this system up and running so I can give my current rig to my son tomorrow, as his motherboard died. I can pick up the samsung at microcenter in the morning.

I'm just about done building my new rig, and was looking at this for memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096. I've heard a lot of good things about this memory, but it's not on the Asus vendor list.
It's highly unlikely for any computer to not be compatible with DRAM chips from the largest maker of DRAM chips, and approved vendor lists include a lot of junk brands, like Corsair, Kingston, Mushkin, G.Skill, Geil.

Modules advertised for faster speeds may actually be made with chips rated no faster than the ones in those Samsungs.

Get the Sams Dark and Beyond. You will not regret it. They are not the fastest sticks out there, but to get the same type of performance or better as you can from these $40/8 GB gems you will pay about double that. They are the most versatile RAM sticks I have ever owned, they will post at settings that my last RAM (Corsair XMS 2000 Mhz) would not even touch. They will definitely fire right up on your ASUS board and probably auto-tune to about 1600 8-8-8. With your rig you should be able to get some nice 2133+ speeds. I can run about 2050 Mhz max on this AMD rig with the Sams, the sweet spot settings that jive with a good OC bus combo is 1900 Mhz 8-9-9-24. Not bad for RAM rated @ 1600 Mhz 11-11-11 out of the box that costs as much as a pizza and a case of beer. :)

Mega SAMSUNG WonderRAM thread over at TechPowerUp.

What larrymoe said is right, but also remember that SAMSUNG makes around 50% of all RAM ICs used by the "RAM manufacturers" listed. None of those brands listed actually fabricate their own ICs, they buy them. For whatever reason, it appears that SAMSUNG is not making these 30 nm RAM ICs available to the secondary DDR producers. If you want these particular ICs, which are a whole different bird compared to older RAM ICs- it is amazing how small they are, you have to get them straight from SAMSUNG.

Last edited:
These samsungs are kinda overrated. For about $50 you can get the same or better sticks that are already rated for 2133:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144594

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231552

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313203

Not all of these samsungs are so good and some are not making much above 2133. The same IC you can find on other memory just usually have bigger PCB and heatspreaders ( and usually cost more like Corsair Platinum series ;) ).

Better memory under DDR3-2000 mark are Crucials Tracer Tactical/ Elite ( cost about $5 more than samsungs ). Better above 2000 is anything on Hynix 2133+ BFR/CFR ( that also cost $5-10 more now ).
Really good samsung IC are only in really expensive kits. I'm not saying about 2400 like TridentX as they are barely hitting 2600 on high voltage.

One more thing is that at least M5G has sometimes problems with booting on Samsung IC. Simply you have to run system on 1 stick and then save bios settings, add more sticks and run it again. Probably the same is with some kits on M5F/E but I didn't test it.

These samsungs are kinda overrated. For about $50 you can get the same or better sticks that are already rated for 2133:

Not all of these samsungs are so good and some are not making much above 2133. The same IC you can find on other memory just usually have bigger PCB and heatspreaders ( and usually cost more like Corsair Platinum series ;) ).

Better memory under DDR3-2000 mark are Crucials Tracer Tactical/ Elite ( cost about $5 more than samsungs ). Better above 2000 is anything on Hynix 2133+ BFR/CFR ( that also cost $5-10 more now ).
Really good samsung IC are only in really expensive kits. I'm not saying about 2400 like TridentX as they are barely hitting 2600 on high voltage.

One more thing is that at least M5G has sometimes problems with booting on Samsung IC. Simply you have to run system on 1 stick and then save bios settings, add more sticks and run it again. Probably the same is with some kits on M5F/E but I didn't test it.

Seems like a waste to me. I'm on an i5-3570k, Maximus V Gene and my Samsung ram reached 2666, booted ect like this but crashes about half way through most tests. I can get it to run 100% at 2500 with blck increased all while on an i5 and no cooling on the ram (yet). I think most would be happy with 2400 and on an i7 and proper cooling they will probably run at 2600.

Edit: just realized you wrote the memory overclocking guide I used lol(thanks!). You probably know something I don't :shrug:

Last edited:
The MVE has some nice overclocking features...

...that you will not use unless you go cold. I mean, hardcore cold. With binning, and stuff.

But, you'll be able to use the coin even if you don't go cold. Pour that money down the GPU sink and get a beefier GPU. You'll notice that more than some black and red under the hood.

I'm fairly certain that my Samsung ram when set to the same voltages and timings would easily be able to match any of those kits you linked.

I mean that GEIL 2133 kit is running at 11-11-11-36 @ 1.5v, which seems pretty bad to me. My Sammys do 2000 at 10-10-10-24 @ 1.475v instead of 1.5v, and that with 4 dimms.

The team extreme at 2133 10-10-10-30 is a little better, but I'm still confident my Samsung would easily match them.

And I paid 44$ per kit for my Samsungs, those higher end kits are 50-55$. Almost a 10$ difference, and the timings that I'm seeing on them seem to give the Samsungs a pretty large margin to be able to match them.

The ram is specified to run at 1.35v which is considerably lower than other kits rated for higher speeds. Yes they are not binned but the voltage difference makes up for that because there is lots of room to increase it.

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain that my Samsung ram when set to the same voltages and timings would easily be able to match any of those kits you linked.

I mean that GEIL 2133 kit is running at 11-11-11-36 @ 1.5v, which seems pretty bad to me. My Sammys do 2000 at 10-10-10-24 @ 1.475v instead of 1.5v, and that with 4 dimms.

The team extreme at 2133 10-10-10-30 is a little better, but I'm still confident my Samsung would easily match them.

And I paid 44$ per kit for my Samsungs, those higher end kits are 50-55$. Almost a 10$ difference, and the timings that I'm seeing on them seem to give the Samsungs a pretty large margin to be able to match them.

The ram is specified to run at 1.35v which is considerably lower than other kits rated for higher speeds. Yes they are not binned but the voltage difference makes up for that because there is lots of room to increase it.

I just gave example that not much more expensive kits are rated @2133 when you don't have to count on luck and are still overclocking higher or with tighter timings.
Team kit is Samsung based but they have quite good selection. Others linked by me are Hynix based and I already saw 2600+ 1.65V on them. Can you make 2600+ 1.65V on your samsungs ?
Most of samsungs in latest kits are scalling about:
1866 9-10-10 1.55V
2133 10-10-11 1.60V or 10-11-11 1.55V
2400 10-10-12 1.65V or 10-12-12 1.55V
2600 10-13-13 1.80V or 10-10-13 1.85V

I didn't say that all are bad. I just said that are overrated as not all can make 2600+, just all who were lucky are posting that info on forums. So yes they are scalling good but till about 2400 and for higher clocks you have to pump high voltage.

You are defending memory that you actually bought without bigger idea what is in other kits.
I say don't judge memory by its label ( you should already know that as your kit is 1600 11-11-11 ;) ). You had luck to better chips but are we talking about your kit in this case or overall ?
If we are talking about our own kits then I have Geil Veloce 2133 10-11-11 that cost me ~$50. This memory is in 1.50 and 1.65V versions and is running fully stable @2600 11-13-12 1.65V and up to 3100 for tests on air ( probably IMC limit ). Similar IC is in GEIL Corsa 2133 11-11-11 and in 2400 11-11-11. You can also find it in some 2600+ kits. G.Skill ARES linked in last post can make something similar as it could make 2400 10-12-11 1.65V ( so should make about the same as my Geil ).

Other thing is that to make Samsungs fast you have to play with sub timings. Most samsung kits have really bad spd that let them make higher clocks on lower voltage but are slower on auto settings than most other IC ( so count that's Hynix as not much more left on market ).
Especially on latest Intel platforms main timings are not most important.
Here is my Geil Veloce 2133 review that includes TridentX 2400 10-12-12 Samsung IC kit results and in almost all tests Geil is beating G.Skill even on lower clock with the same CL. You can also check my IB memory guide for some similar results.

So again I'm not saying that these Samsungs are bad or don't buy them but that there is more kits on market worth to check before you decide to buy something especially that prices dropped for all other kits but not much for these Green Samsung series.
These samsungs were one of cheapest good clocking kits available for some time but now there is more cheap kits and don't start with $5 difference because it's not even funny when we are talking about memory that will be working on ~$380 board.

I understood what you said, I was under the impression that you were implying buying higher rated kits was in order to avoid the hassle of overclocking. I'm saying that luck doesn't have as much to do with it as you think it does when it comes to these kits. 95% of people with them will get them between 2133 and 2400mhz speeds at comparable timings at voltages anywhere between 1.4 - 1.5, maybe higher than 1.5 if you are a bit unlucky.

And those settings you posted seem off from what I have read about them. Mine run 1866 9-9-9-24 @ 1.410v, 2000 10-10-10-24 @ 1.475v.

Overclockers.co.uk show their own set of overclocks too:

- 1600MHz (7-8-8-24 1N) @ 1.40v
- 1866MHz (9-9-9-27 1N) @ 1.40v
- 2000MHz (9-10-10-28 1N) @ 1.45v
- 2133MHz (10-10-10-28 1N) @ 1.45v
- 2400MHz (11-11-11-28 2N) @ 1.50v

I never said the memory you posted was bad either, 50$ for that GEIL kit seems like a good deal. But when you start talking about the GSkill Trident we are talking about ram kits priced at 70$ for 8gb. All I'm saying is that the chances of you getting a bad kit that won't be able to reach 2133 - 2400 are very small.

Last edited:
TridentX 2400 are expensive and chips used there are about the same as Green Samsungs. What more many Dominator Platinums 2133-2400 have about the same chips and price is even higher. I just gave these G.Skills as an samsung IC example because oc results are usually similar.
About the same you can find in Kingston Predator series or Team Xtreem up to 2400.

Overclockers.co.uk got some better sticks or maybe they are just clocking better on X79 than Z77. These are also Spi32 results and for Prime95 or other tests you have to set higher voltage. Usually it's +0.05V higher. It's still about the same as most TridentX 2400 are making so for sure Green Samsungs are still good deal.

But the Samsung Green's are not overrated, they do exactly what the community at large says they do.

I don't think the guys at overclockers.uk simply got good sticks seeing as how my sticks perform about the same. And they were both tested in quad channel with 4 dimms, which would only add more complications. Even the review from this site confirms the trend, they only really have trouble once you try to go past 2400mhz.

Back