• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sanded down the IHS of a Q6600 to the silicone.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That looks absolutely AWESOME. Excellent work, and major props to you.

What I would have done was gotten it to the point in your first picture, separated the inner IHS pieces stuck to the die and then just torched those off instead of the whole IHS (so you still have the borders). That way you don't risk sanding the dies too far.

The important part of the die is closer to the bottom than the top so there is a lot of headroom as long as you don't chip it

The important part of the die is closer to the bottom than the top so there is a lot of headroom as long as you don't chip it

I suppose, but I would feel a little better anyway. It looks like you easily enough separated the inner part of the IHS from the outer rim that is sealed by silicone around the CPU's substrate. At that point I would have just popped the middle pieces of the IHS off. In fact, now that I think of it, I personally would probably just do the knife/torch method because I'm not too afraid of chipping a core from mounting a heatsink. I've done it quite a few times before on quite a few bare dies and I haven't busted anything from that yet. That said... I don't think I'd have the nerve to deIHS a really high-performance proc in the first place... I have no money :)

Here I was thinking I was bad a** by removing my IHS...

I know someone as XS already did this, but it is just too cool to see it again.

Congrats! I cannot wait to see what you will have in store later on. :)

bryan d

Look at the image source, search for the URL, and you'll find the same guy at XS :)

Wow... No way I could work through 6 hours of manual sanding. I would've driven 30 minutes to my dad's house and put 'er to the bench grinder to get the bulk of the IHS off. Course, there's a good chance I would have gone too far and had some key chain fodder too ;)

i love how people use prime 95 to say its under load. for me i just load up crysis, thats the most ill do :D

also u have some major balls to do that. i would only lap it a bit to get it shinny, not remove the whole metal top :|

i love how people use prime 95 to say its under load. for me i just load up crysis, thats the most ill do

Run a small FFT torture test for 20 minutes. Look at your CPU temps and load, and then tell us Prime95 isn't a "load" again...

Run a small FFT torture test for 20 minutes. Look at your CPU temps and load, and then tell us Prime95 isn't a "load" again...

i have no idea what FFT is. and i know Prime 95 is great, i used it when i first got my quad.

Hey OP i didnt notice but how much did ur temps change because of this?

Back