• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sandy Bridge multiplier binning?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's as good as any, not sure about disabling cores since some can be weaker than others. I would just use better cooling. If you only have one CPU it's not overly relevant anyway. That guide is for testing multiple chips at the same time to see which might give a higher overclock.

It's as good as any, not sure about disabling cores since some can be weaker than others. I would just use better cooling. If you only have one CPU it's not overly relevant anyway. That guide is for testing multiple chips at the same time to see which might give a higher overclock.

Allright, thanks. :)
I asked because this 2500k maxes out the multiplier. 63, and it would boot to windows if this particular OS wasn't for another system (gives some errors at the "welcome to windows" text because of some drivers).

I highly doubt it will boot at 63x. The world record on LN2 is just a hair over 6 GHz. SB chips have a hard multiplier wall. In the case of the WR CPU at Hwbot, that is 57x (with 105.x BCLK).

I highly doubt it will boot at 63x. The world record on LN2 is just a hair over 6 GHz. SB chips have a hard multiplier wall. In the case of the WR CPU at Hwbot, that is 57x (with 105.x BCLK).

Yep, it turns out that I have to enable turbo for the multi to actually apply, which I immediately turned off when I got into the bios. :D

I recall binning those and it was Windows 7 (IIRC) that when you boot, if you see the windows loading screen and not a flashing cursor in the upper left-hand corner, the multiplier is good. But not sure if that was with a specific chipset or board... no clue.

But yes, these have a hard multiplier wall. Once that is hit, then it is only the limited BCLK to raise the core speeds. Most of these are upper 4Ghz to lower 5 GHZ CPUs. Should be able to be cooled by high-end air even.

I recall binning those and it was Windows 7 (IIRC) that when you boot, if you see the windows loading screen and not a flashing cursor in the upper left-hand corner, the multiplier is good. But not sure if that was with a specific chipset or board... no clue.

But yes, these have a hard multiplier wall. Once that is hit, then it is only the limited BCLK to raise the core speeds. Most of these are upper 4Ghz to lower 5 GHZ CPUs. Should be able to be cooled by high-end air even.

Yeah, it maxes out at 53x multi.
I could get some decent scores with my really bad ramkit, but I only maxed out cinebench 2003 for today, because somewhy my windows got so corrupt I've even struggled to get my screenshots on a pendrive. :screwy:

this is pretty much it.

most would do 4.5-4.8 on air maybe 4.8-4.9 on water .. after that is binning and even on cold you may only get 5.2-5.3 on multi. they are also weak on bclock oc'ing and often just fall over

apparently they can on some skylake etc but its similar where its limited

2003, that's cinebench 20? That's pretty decent being a quad

Oh no, I don't do R20 because it doesn't give any HWpoints yet. I'm talking about cinebench 2003, that's the name of the bench. :D

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

apparently they can on some skylake etc but its similar where its limited

Yeah Skylake has bclk overclocking. :D
There are some very nice results on hwbot, like i3 6320 @ 6500+ spi 1m. :)

Oh, I was wrong!! I thought it was only multiplier overclocking for a long time now! Thank you!

Back