• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sanity Check on "New" HTPC Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arklite

Registered
Hey folks. I've got a full tower sitting down in my living room and decided it is time to move the guts into a nicer form factor. Since it is already a fully functional rig, I'll only be buying the "necessary" parts to make the transition (hence the older CPU and RAM). PCpartpicker list here, but also broken out in detail below http://pcpartpicker.com/list/jsFmgL :

Already Owned:
CPU- i7-2600k
Memory- 8GB G-Skill DDR3
Storage- Samsung 850 EVO 120GB
Storage- 3TB Seagate Barracuda
Video Card: GTX 970

Will Need to Buy
Mobo- Asus P8H61-I R2.0 Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard
Case- Silverstone ML08B-H HTPC Case
PSU- Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
CPU Fan- Silverstone AR06 40.2 CFM CPU Cooler

PC partpicker says there is an issue with the 3TB hard drive, but from what I've read this is a non-issue if I don't install an optical drive (which I don't plan to). This looks like a pretty painless transition to a HTPC form factor from what I can tell, but wanted to see if anyone had any alternative thoughts (or see any red flags). Appreciate the thoughts/help!

H81 MoBo with 2600k is not the best choice: you can't overclock the CPU on a H81 chipset. Need either P67, Z68 or Z77.

450W quality PSU is more than enough: 120W overclocked CPU and 200W for OC'ed 970. add 100w max for fan, bits and bobs and well, even 400 will suffice.

Back