• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire 9800 Pro TV out??!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voodoomelon

Hey all,
Did a search for this and came up with nothing.
Just bought a Sapphire 9800 Pro :D , and can't for the life of me connect it to a TV or another monitor. Below are pictures of the Display options.
http://www.angelfire.com/alt/cpucooling/Display1.JPG
http://www.angelfire.com/alt/cpucooling/Display2.JPG

Apparently, according to the manual, you simply click the circled button on any of the devices, when you have connected the card to a TV or LCD Monitor etc, and the connected device is activated.
But my damn card doesn't even let you click any of the other option except for the connected monitor. All other options are greyed out. What the hell? Even when you change the scheme nothing happens.

And what's the other option on the second picture, the secondary display? I've tryed selecting it and then connecting to a TV and a monitor but theres no change.
It's completely baffling. (By the way, when I say connect to monitor, i mean using the DVI to 15pin adapter that came with the card).

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks!;)

Best troubleshooting I've found with second monitors, and it's basic at best, is to power off the PC, remove and re-attach/reconnect any external display devices, and reboot.

I try to stay out of those display settings as much as possible, too many of them never worked for me on a variety of cards in the past, and forget using an external svideo tv or the like :rolleyes:

A TV(except for HDTV) is terrible compared to any modern computer monitor.
I don't know why anyone will get a really nice Radeon 9800 Pro, then really limit it's performance with a TV(TVs can only do 30FPS @ less than 640x480(to compare, a whimpy GF4MX 420 gets 68FPS @ 1024x768)).
I can't really stand an analog TV anymore, so I have digital TV on my PC.

Don't worry, i don't use the TV for anything. Believe me, i like my 1600 X 1200 on my monitor. I only want to connect it to my 32" TV tomorrow for a party, and to a monitor aswell - to have 3 different displays at once.
Damn display settings...:rolleyes:

star882 said:
A TV(except for HDTV) is terrible compared to any modern computer monitor.
I don't know why anyone will get a really nice Radeon 9800 Pro, then really limit it's performance with a TV(TVs can only do 30FPS @ less than 640x480(to compare, a whimpy GF4MX 420 gets 68FPS @ 1024x768)).
I can't really stand an analog TV anymore, so I have digital TV on my PC.

you've never gamed on a big t.v then, have you?

i showed RalliSport Challange (pc version) to my friends on a 32inch widescreen and it blew them away. There really is nothing like it.

btw cards ouput 640x480,800x600 and 1024x768 to t.v's - much higher than any console can do. Tv's only downfall? They just can't do high-res text. Thats what hd-tv's are for.

voodoomelon - you can olny use 2 displays at a time on the ati's. you can connect 3, but only 2 can be active.

i had the same problem with my 9500 pro and coudln't get the s-video out to work. the problem i found out was the s-video cable that came with the card. i used another s-video cable and it worked like a charme. make sure the tv's on before you turn on the computer too. hope that helps

Sorry to wander off topic here, but Voodoo you spelled "you're" wrong in your avatar.

Just thought I'd let you know. Good luck with the S-video.

"you've never gamed on a big t.v then, have you?

i showed RalliSport Challange (pc version) to my friends on a 32inch widescreen and it blew them away. There really is nothing like it.

btw cards ouput 640x480,800x600 and 1024x768 to t.v's - much higher than any console can do."
I like to use my monitor better, it's much higher resolution.
Also, the card may support high resolution, but the TV is the limit.
"Don't worry, i don't use the TV for anything. Believe me, i like my 1600 X 1200 on my monitor. I only want to connect it to my 32" TV tomorrow for a party, and to a monitor aswell - to have 3 different displays at once."
IIRC, Radeon 9800s can only support 2 monitors at once.

i use my TV for some gaming, and for dvd and vid file playback, my tv runs a resolution from 640x480 to 1024x760, and i also have to say the 38fps is bs. depending on your tv i'm sure it could vary, but my ancient magnavox gets better than that. TV out is great for some things, but as stated, no good for high res text.
I've never had a problem with TV out or secondary monitor out on any of my ATI cards, this includes, 1 ati rage128, rage fury, original radeon, r7500, or my current r8500. TV out has worked great for all of them. I'm not sure what the problem could be, i have noticed some wierdness with tv out on some of the older driver versions. i don't think you'd be using anything older than cat 3.2 with a 9800 though. Allways in my setup, if the svid is connected the button for TV is no longer greyed out in control panel, regardless of tv power on/off.

good luck,

J.

Thanks to all for replying, especially Akumu X :eek: :eek: . Thanks man, dunno how I overlooked that.
Anyway, got the darned thing working by RESTARTING with the TV and second monitor connected, and hey presto. (Thanks Pinky).
And oppajer, i found the same thing, it only seems to connect with certain types of S-video cables. I still have a few from the Voodoo 3 era, and it doesn't work with them. It only works with my Geforce 2 MX400 cable. :rolleyes:
Anyways, got my 3 displays up at once, contrary to popular belief.
Thanks again. :D

Last edited:
Back