• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire R9 280x Toxic Undervolt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crip

Hi guys i'm new to the forum , 1 week ago i bought an R9 280x Toxic , currently i use a 600w cooler master elite v3 , i know it's not the greatest psu but i can't afford a new one , so i would like to snow if there is any way to undervolt le gpu just to lower the temps and the power consumption to make the gpu and the psu last as long as possible.I've tried to use adrenaline 2020 tool but there is not much i can do , i can only change core and memory frequency power limit and fan speed .

GPU: Sapphire R9 280x toxic 3gb Elpida Memory
CPU : I3 6100
RAM : 8GB 2133Mhz Ripjaws
MOBO : H110M Gaming
PSU : Cooler Master Elite V3 600w

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Cattura.PNG

Attachments

• Cattura.PNG
    Cattura.PNG
    20.4 KB · Views: 170
Pretty sure your PSU will be fine. Are you having some heat issues?

Typically to undervolt you need to modify the BIOS, people did that for mining. If you're having heat issues it could be a lack of airflow in the case. Try gaming with the side cover off and see if it improves

I'm alredy playing with the side panel off and i've recently changed the termal paste , i'd like to lower the temps and the Power drain

Cattura.PNG

can't change the voltage

Cattura.PNG Cattura1.PNG

these are the values of the bios flashed on this board

So the option in the center doesn't do anything if you hit the (-) or (+). What about dropping the power limit

i could already change the power limit in the radeon software

OK, so if you drop the power limit it should hold the card back from hitting the top bin. By dropping I mean below 100%

A word of advice if you go to modify your BIOS save a copy somewhere first

have you any tips about how much and which values should i change in VBE7

You could start by lowering BIN 0 down to BIN 6 levels. That card should be cooling better than it seems to be. Have you tried just increasing the fan speed?

Have you opened GPU-Z sensor tab and observed the GPU Voltage section. It will tell you the MAX that the card has used to run at xxx speed.
I have 2 separate 280x Toxic's. I call them Ver 1 and Ver 2 because they behave differently.
Version 1: Has 1 power fan connection on PCB to control the 3 fans and has HIT 1400c/1800m on Dice.
Version 2: Has 2 power fan connections on PCB. 1 controls the outside (2) fans and 1 controls the center fan. On Water, it didn't want to go faster than default speed :(
Which card do you have and how much power is it using??

Thank You

Update
So i modded the BIOS , i got the state
Voltage 1.125
Core clock 900
Memory clock 1500

State #0
Voltage 1.125
Core clock 1050
Memory clock

The gpu now Is running at full load at 60/65° and the Power drain down to 120/140W

I would call it a succes if you guys have some suggestions to get a little bit more fps without drastically increasing temps or Power drain i would try It out

I have the versione with two fan connections

Back