• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA Expansion Card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atomic_Sheep

Hi, the motherboard I plan on buying is going to have 4 less SATA ports than I need. I want to expand this. What PCI port is needed for this task?

Do you mean PCIe slot?

What motherboard do you have? No signature (create one, you have been here for 8 years), no listed specs in the thread. What card are you planning on getting? Difficult to help with zero information given... :(

EDIT: As for a add-in card... https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...8&cm_re=pcie_sata_card-_-16-124-064-_-Product

if you need four ports...that will fit in a PCIe x1 slot or greater.

Last edited:
My current computer has died, so I'm replacing it.

I'm tossing up between Gigabyte H370M D3H and H370M DS3H.

Well, assuming my guesses were right.......................

You can place that card I suggested in either the bottom PCIe slot (full-length) or the bottom x1 slot (should leave room for a GPU to breathe). On the D3H, same thing, bottom full-length slot or the x1 slot above it assuming it gives your GPU room to breathe.

Do you have a SATA card in mind already? I really feel like we need to hoover information out when it should be listed.. :)

Don't forget to create a signature when you have your hardware.

Ah so SATA doesn't reaquire a x16 slot? Even the slowest PCI port will suffice? I'm mostly trying to figure out what speed PCI I require for a SATA expansion card.

EDIT: reading specs, yep, I see that it fits into a x1 PCI 2.0. Thanks.

It's PCIe (PCI Express). PCI is a legacy port these days. ;)

In your case, you will want to install whatever device you have chosen on the full-length PCIe slot. PCIe x1 slot has 1 GB/s bandwidth which if beating on multiple drives at the same time, can choke the x1 slot.

EDIT: Yes, the x1 size card listed fits in x16 (full-length) slots.

Hmm, I have a feeling I should be fine. I think I'll just put my Linux RAID 0 or 1 (whichever is stripe) and my DVD and Blu ray drives onto the expansion card, should be fine, I'm still using SATA 7200RPM HDDs, so I don't think I'll be approaching the 1GB/s limit with these components.

I'm just wondering about something.

If I get a 4 port SATA expansion card, will I be able to use RAID?

Specifically I want to connect 2 old school spinny HDD to the expansion card and have them run either in RAID 1 or 0.

Last edited:
new cards that have built in support for RAID are more expensive than plain old SATA adapters but you can also opt for used Dell Poweredge server cards off ebay for pretty cheap.

Back