• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screaming from computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoBioN

Greetings,

Im experiencing some weird screaming sound from the PC in certain situations.

2 situations im aware of currently is when:

1. in Minecraft menu
2. Quitting Heaven 2.5 benchmark.

the PC:

Motherboard: Asrock Z68 Extreme 4
CPU: i5 2500K
GPU: GIGABYTE Geforce 560 Ti SOC (950 mhz version)
PSU: 1000 Watt NorthQ
Case: Coolermaster HAF-X
DVD: Samsung
Memory: Corsair Vengeance.
Storage: 120 GB Corsair Force Series 3. and a 1.5 Tb Hitachi Sata 3 HDD.

What suspected was the GPU.

I tried with a ATI 4870 Graphic card, the scream was still there, But not as loud.

I tried using the Inbuild Graphics in the CPU, and no scream at all.

Some says it could be the PSU?.

Any way to find out if its auctually the graphic card or the PSU?

Is it a squealing or does it sounds more like a fan/something hitting a fan?

If the former, it is likely devices on the video card, motherboard or in the power supply. Get it to a point where it makes the noise and try to track down where it is coming from. If you use a small tube, you can narrow down where it is extremely quick.

without leaving your seat :) you could do selective testing.
If it was the PSU it might make the same sound when running a hard benchmark, or something that sucks up as much power. For that test you avoid using the GPU hard, so that is not in the picture.
the curcuits in there whining when the most power is consumed.
that OCCT stability testing program, has some sort of power sucking test in it, that is sure to push the power consumption up very high.

if it is the GPU, then running a very specific to the GPU test, could cause the sound. like say a furmark test. something that is not using so much total power on the computer, but gets the GPU to use a lot of power.

IF is is just a fan in the gpu reaching some harmonics point, or a place where it scrapes plastic on plastic, then adjusting only the gpu fan slowly through all its stages might reveal it. using one of the gpu overclocking tools that allows for manuel fan control.

when it comes to louder things happening, it is often a fan they discovered that needed adjusting, cleaning, lubing, or replacing.
when it comes to obnoxious high pitch wines, or low pitch hums, it is more often power things.

other than that, getting your ear back behind there when it happens.

if this is happening via the SPEAKERS , or the on the motherboard speaker, then everything in my post does not apply at all.

Last edited:
I can play benchmarks and highly heavy games without the sound, When i play minecraft it does it in the menu, But when you play its gone.

Also in heaven benchmark its not there,Except when your quitting and it shows some ad quickly before shutting down.

Its rather loud, And its a squeeling kinda sound yes.

I tried taking off the side panel, to listen.

I tried making my girlfriend listen too.

Myself im having a hard time deciding if its the GPU or PSU, while she says its the PSU.

Could it be the PSU? i just can't see the point in it squeeling when its in minecraft menu /quitting benchmark and etc. Makes really no sense

It could be any powered device.

I'm also confused why it doesn't do it all the time. The only thing I can think of is the load allows the device to vibrate at just the right frequency to cause this noise.

well scientific study has shown that males are more capable of tuning out high freqencies, and females are more capable of tuning out low frequencies , , , hmm wonder why :)

so i am inclined to believe your GF can spot the local better.

get your TUBE out like Thideras said, plastic vaccume hose, paper towel tube, a water hose with no metal on it, the vaccume hose off your girlfriends car :)

I'm also confused why it doesn't do it all the time. The only thing I can think of is the load allows the device to vibrate at just the right frequency to cause this noise.

I'm thinking that as well, or blown/leaky capacitor in the PSU under load.

Nothing's gonna die on you. It's likely coil whine. Run furmark briefly. You should hear it quite pronounced in there if it's the GPU. Could also be the PSU but odds are it is one of the two.

I tried furmark. And had the card up clpae to 80 degree and cooling heavily. Of course that don make it easy to hear if then. But did not notice any screaming from what i could hear. Is there any way to test the psu through applications?

this is normal with coil whine...yup. :)

Back