• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Securing Hard Drive data?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

For xmas I was lucky to receive a duplex file scanner! I can finally go 99% paperless and scan every pay stub bank statement etc and shred everything after scanning.

Since I'll have documents on the hard drive...what's the best approach to secure it all? I.e. If someone breaks in and steals the computer how can I be safe they wouldn't be able to get the data off the drive?

It's running Windows Server 2012 btw.

Something like TrueCrypt so that you can password protect it.

Will it cause any issues with me accessing the drive from other computers on my network since I'll be putting files in that drive all the time?

Will it cause any issues with me accessing the drive from other computers on my network since I'll be putting files in that drive all the time?
As long as the drive is active, the other computers can't tell the difference.

TrureCrypt ended development in 2014 due to security issues.

Personally, I'd suggest putting it all on an external drive and disconnecting it when not directly accessing the info.

TrueCrypt was just an example, there are lots options for this.

As long as the drive is active, the other computers can't tell the difference.

So I guess whats the point of the encyption if any computer can just view it then? Or is it only an issue if I removed the drive and plugged it "physically" into another computer?

So I guess whats the point of the encyption if any computer can just view it then? Or is it only an issue if I removed the drive and plugged it "physically" into another computer?

It has to be unlocked again any time the HDD has been powered off.

Encryption only helps if the computer is shut down or the drive is stolen out of the system. If everything was encrypted all the time, how would you use it?

If you are worried about them swiping your system, encryption would prevent them from accessing your files. It doesn't stop them from formatting and reinstalling over it, but your data would be safe.

I just bought a scanner too. Not a duplex just a simple flatbed for the same purpose though I have yet to use it. I also installed gpg4win and plan on a couple of Yubikeys for two-factor authentication system wide. I'm probably going to use the pgp type encryption for folders as it also works on my android phone and email acct's as well. I just need a proper duplex laser printer and I'd be set.

Back