• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Security Cameras to dedicated computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

I wasn't sure where to put this so here I am, move if need.

I need to set up a one or two security cameras, I would like them to record locally. I have a i7 4770, 16 gigs of ram, 120gig boot SSD, 660ti, repurposed alienware liquid cooler, wifi/Bluetooth card sitting around collecting dust and I figure I could record to it but I am having a hard time finding a camera or two that will let me do so.

I have access to an unused copy of blue iris if that helps.
I'm looking for a camera that wont break the bank (sub $100 per) record locally, could be Wi-Fi, Ethernet, PoE it doesn't matter, works with blue iris a plus, own recording software that will record locally and notify via text e-mail or what have you preferred. Night vision isn't a big deal.

any recommendations?

Semi urgent kinda want to get something going asap, the computers ready except for maybe a bigger drive to record to but I have something laying around for that.

the back story:

I came home today to a open garage door, it was closed when I left and closed when the wife left but open when I came home from lunch in a 2 hour period between the wife and I. None of us have remotes to this thing and I usually switch it off when we aren't home but I apparently forgot last night. we also don't park in the garage because that's where the 280zx goes, the other cars suffer out side.
nothing missing but we've noticed a few odd things happening like the porch light being turned off, it never gets turned off, odd things moved. almost like they are casing the joint to get an idea of the size of truck they need.

I never used blue iris so I cant give advice for something that I know will work with it. I always worked with mile stone systems for the most port.
But I had good luck with dlink IP cameras with the mile stone software. I have not used them in a long time, but Sony used to make some of the best PTZ IP cameras. Its been some time since I used an upto date IP system do to them dyeing out in favor of CCTV DVRS. Most of the IP stuff I manage is getting close to 15-20 years old. and the last system I worked with was about 10 years old.

Don't forget to secure you recoding server, maybe use two and a fake one too. That computer you posted about likely says steal me all over it for a robber.
And don't record over wifi unless if you have too. It works, but if the wifi goes down or you get inference and dropped packets your likely lose video.

EDIT:
IP system like milestone, axis and blue iris are costly setups that are not suited for home use if you ask me. They're better for a big box stores like Wal-Mart.

Ideally I would go for a swan DVR system if you don't mind running cable.
something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Swann-SWDVK-...TF8&qid=1528777763&sr=1-11&keywords=Swann+dvr

CCTV DVR systems tend to be way cheaper and far more reliable and swan systems have remote viewing.

EDIT:2
Found a link of tested IP cameras for the blue iris software
http://blueirissoftware.com/technology/

Last edited:
that list hasn't been updated in a long time.
The reason I was going to use the blue iris software is because I already have a pro version from work. they were going to have us do the camera installs and they got the software, then changed their minds and hired some one out side of the company to handle it....after they bought it all.

The hunt is on. I bought a amcrest camera at frys when I was visiting Portland but the verdict is still out on it

ok so if you are using blue iris and have a license for it just about any ip camera will work, as long as it has an rtsp feed. anything poe will work personally i been using some s3vc cameras off amazon, so far im 2 for 3 on defective units, 1 of the 3 has been flawless they are about $40 each. one would disconnect after about 5 min one is kinda grainy at night and forgets its settings when the power gets disconncted, but the one is fantastic, might replace the grainy one. bright side amazon gives a full refund so far. gonna try to update the firmware on the one first see what happens. the ones i have have the i think 6 big led's for night illumination they are freakin bright and light up great.
now if you can find something that is more reliable that would be awesome let me know, i figured with the 4.5 starts and hundreds of reviews on amazon these would be great. but so far meh. i installed 4 of their wifi versions for a customer and i havent had a hiccup from them so maybe i was just unlucky.

but blue iris should work with anything that has RTSP there are a BUNCH of options for below $50 each POE is awesome because you dont have to get 120v to the camera just a cat5, and poe switches are cheap and getting cheaper especially used, 100mbs is more than enough most cameras are like 2-10mbs
heres a pic of my view of zonealarm, btw motion detection uses a bunch of cpu these 3 cams are eating 20% of my i3 the leftmost one is an old galaxy s3 im running ipwebcam on works fine as well, just have to lookup your model and see how to connect a software to its video stream. that one isnt rstp its mjpeg or some crap like that.
cams.png

Back