• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

seeking a good Gaming mouse. [WIRED]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you liked the Deathadder, just get a new one. Why keep looking? It failed within its warranty. Lots of products do. I would say Razer do best at their mice.

i'm on my second deathadder, first one start failing on the scroll click after 4 or 5yrs.... other than that it's like new. My new one is the black edition. Running GREAT !

RMA your deathadder.... thats it

i'm on my second deathadder, first one start failing on the scroll click after 4 or 5yrs.... other than that it's like new. My new one is the black edition. Running GREAT !

RMA your deathadder.... thats it

dude, this is page 2. you have already replied and i'll try this again.

"it was returned for a full refund." :cheers:

calm down milord .... i just missed the last comment. The above one state you lost all confidance about the deathadder, wich is why i told i have good experience with it .

Logitech G500 vote here! I love mine. Replaced my g9x. No complaints.

And you get used to the layout. You always do. It only replaced my g9x because my g9x had some issues toward the end of its life. I'd still highly recommend it. But the scroll wheel button on the bottom of the g9x isn't anywhere near as convenient as the g500 top placed button.

The g9x and g500 use the same laser afaik. I found it weird going from a smaller claw grip mouse (g9x) to a larger more palm grip mouse(g500). But got used to it very easily.

i'm calm friend. it's just that two people missed that the Deathadder was returned is all.
loving the thread with everyone's opinions on mice. it's much appreciated! :cool:

got a NAOS 5000 tuesday that shipped monday.

it came in a mostly cardboard box with minimal plastic. nice job!

compared to the explorer it's flatter on the back and the left and right buttons are narrower.
having my fingers lay flat, my thumb and ring finger have a great grip for lifting.
there is also a place for my pinky to rest which the explorer didn't.
same as my explorer the back side button is right there but the front i have to reach
with the way i hold the mouse. this is fine since i only use that for "taunt; wait 300; explode" KA *boom* lol
if your grip is more curled the button is right there.

out of the box it worked @ 1000hz polling rate. confirmed with mouserate.exe (Win7 x64)
default 1st setting is 810 CPI, 2nd is 2070 CPI, third 4050 CPI.
downloaded the latest beta software v 1.34/beta firmware 1.21.
in the mouse settings software under support i checked for new firmware
without noting what was on it. anyway it installed 1.21. this took a couple of minutes.
whew i got lights again :D

in the sensor performance tab, pointer speed is tied to control panel mouse speed.
i was going nuts adjusting it in control panel only to have it reset any time i applied anything else in the software.
finally figured that out and now i just use the software for tweaks.
the surface quality analyzer gave my mouse pad a 7/10, and my real imitation wood desk a 8/10.
changed from the default green to purple. (sorry for my crappy camera)

came with eight 5g weights to change... well the weight. i'm using all ATM
but i'll prolly take a couple out.

one small negative about the mouse. it doesn't like legacy mode on my board. going into bios
i didn't have a mouse. saving and exiting to windows. still no mouse. unplugging and replugging worked.
in bios i disabled USB 3 since i don't have any 3.0 devices anyway.
setting USB2 legacy to auto instead of on seems to have fixed the issue.

bottom line i love the mouse. the tracking is excellent. the buttons are quick
with an audible click you can feel. scroll wheel notches are perfect. not to heavy or weak.
haven't tried using the macro function yet.
[:sn:edit]macro function works without the software running. just tried ` noclip ENTER ` in garry's mod and it verks!
big shout out to OnDborder :cheers:

i'll be back with my SteelSeries Ikari laser review :bday:

Attachments

• NAOS.5000a.jpg
    NAOS.5000a.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 56
  • NAOS.5000b.jpg
    NAOS.5000b.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 57
  • NAOS.5000c.jpg
    NAOS.5000c.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 56
  • NAOS.5000d.jpg
    NAOS.5000d.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
the SteelSeries Ikari Laser showed up yesterday.
out of the mostly cardboard box polling is @ 500hz reported by mouserate.exe.
with the provided CD and the software downloaded from SteelSeries i could not
find a way to change the polling rate. (NAOS supports 125, 250, 500, and 1000)
the manual says...

"The SteelSeries Ikari reports at 1000Hz versus the standard 125Hz.
some USB hubs might decrease the mouse polling frequency,"

1000Hz (1ms) vs 500Hz (2ms) i can even tell a difference honestly.

the software let's you remap the mouse buttons to any mouse button or a macro.
in other words you can't map keyboard buttons to the mouse buttons, unlike the NAOS.
the macro feature is difficult and i couldn't get the noclip macro i used on the NAOS 5000 to work.
can't find an adjustment for lift height but it's small as it is. takes very little height to disable movement.
the sensitivity changes the CPI for the high and low settings. this can be done
without the software by holding down the hi/low button then using the scroll wheel to adjust.
that feature is really great if your on someone else's computer, or in a bios environment etc.
the led's for high and low are both white. only one is lit at a time so it's unclear at a glance. a red and blue sharpie fixed that.
it has a "free move" adjustment in software to either smooth out your movements or or track more 1 to 1.
this feature seems to work well. could come in handy if things are to shaky for someone.
you can save and load profiles but the "get more" link is dead. not a surprise since this mouse is no longer available.
would explain why mine was an open box. (got a sizable refund. mouse got alcohol bath)
the import your own bitmap feature for the LCD display on the bottom is nowhere to be found.
was hoping to have an overclockers.com bitmap on it but you'll have to settle for overclocke. (profile name)

mouse is light and the grip is pretty good. better than my explorer as far as picking it up goes. the "back"
button is very close to my thumb when i pick it up. accidentally pushed it once.
when your aware of it it's not an issue but the NAOS has a much better grip as far as movement and lifting goes.
the scroll wheel doesn't feel quite as good as the NAOS. moving past your desired weapon is more likely.
similar to the NAOS there is a place to rest my pinky, and ring finger.

• ==pros==
  • being able to change CPI on the LCD without software is it's shining feature.
  • excellent tracking
  • above average grip
  • high and low CPI button.
  • 500Hz polling
  • "free move" adjustment to smooth cursor

==cons==
  • (minor) no LCD bitmap software
  • no polling adjustment. 500Hz advertised @ 1000Hz
  • somewhat unclear high low CPI indicator
  • can't remap buttons to keyboard keys
  • macro's hard to program
over all it's a good mouse with a decent grip and excellent tracking. i'm keeping it as a backup/loaner.

am i trying to be a publisher? no, but i dream of playing one on tv :p

Attachments

• IKARI.NAOS.c.jpg
    IKARI.NAOS.c.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IKARI.NAOS.b.jpg
    IKARI.NAOS.b.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 415
  • IKARI.NAOS.a.jpg
    IKARI.NAOS.a.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 415
  • IKARI.NAOS.d.jpg
    IKARI.NAOS.d.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IKARI.lowSharpie.jpg
    IKARI.lowSharpie.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IKARI.highSharpie.jpg
    IKARI.highSharpie.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 55
I got a Razer Napa Epic a bit ago, and it took while to get used to, but the 12 side buttons are life changing for MMOs.... My keyboard hand is used for modifiers and movement, and the mouse hand does the rest. If you want a more normal mouse, take a look at the Razer Mamba. Both of these mice are dual mode with both wired and wireless depending how you are using it. Wireless operates at full DPI with minimal lag.

Back