• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seeking expert overclocking help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

suassive

Hi, I have an AMD cpu. I am completely new at the clocking game, I apologize before hand for my stupidity.
I've been doing quite a load of research on how or if possible to clocking this cpu but i've been coming to some dead ends, so I thought I'd give the forums a try
I understand this is a quite old processor and possibly outdated information
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the .C for this processor is a high for an aircooler?
I found CPU Frequency on my bios using the CTRL + F1 key to show the hidden settings but that didn't change the actual frequency nor do voltage settings show up.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (Brisbane)
Socket: AMD2 (940)
Bus speed: 200 Mhz
Motherboard: ECS MCP61PM-GM v. 2.2 OEM
BIOS: Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG

f8708d77d4.png
f251cd9a8e.png
384841de90.png
02a16cb914.png
Any help or redirection would be much appreciated, thank you.
~just messing with an old pc

Last edited:
Is that an OEM gateway motherboard? If it is you're likely SOL. The BIOS probably will not have any overclocking features and usually AMD overdrive overclocking software will not work with a BIOS such as that.

I believe it is an Gateway, and true AMD overdrive didn't work. Well thank you for the help man, I figured I was SOL xD

I believe it is an Gateway, and true AMD overdrive didn't work. Well thank you for the help man, I figured I was SOL xD
If you're really looking to Oc, you can usually pick up AM2 board used on Ebay for a decent price. You could just swap the parts over to it. If this is something you would be interested in let us know and we can help you pick out a board. You would also need an aftermarket heatsink, such as a coolermaster 212 Evo. Those old Athlons are fun to Oc and are pretty tough chips.

AMD OD cannot access overclocking features that the Bios does not have to begin with. The big problem here is that to begin with the bios does not possess settings for overclocking. The mass computer producers like Gateway don't want consumers doing that kind of stuff. That's why we overclockers purchase aftermarket enthusiast level boards.

If you're really looking to Oc, you can usually pick up AM2 board used on Ebay for a decent price. You could just swap the parts over to it. If this is something you would be interested in let us know and we can help you pick out a board. You would also need an aftermarket heatsink, such as a coolermaster 212 Evo. Those old Athlons are fun to Oc and are pretty tough chips.

AMD OD cannot access overclocking features that the Bios does not have to begin with. The big problem here is that to begin with the bios does not possess settings for overclocking. The mass computer producers like Gateway don't want consumers doing that kind of stuff. That's why we overclockers purchase aftermarket enthusiast level boards.

Well Gents, I have some shocking news. I managed to Oc an Athlon processor from AMD an older version than what I have posted on the very same BIOS/OEM
Here's a picture
5af95da009.png
With no software, strictly straight from BIOS
Although, yes you are correct @trents about AMD OverDrive not working.
Ps: I couldn't Oc AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (Brisbane) series

Last edited:
That's good news, there's also other programs like SETFSB that will work with OEM machines. You just have to find the right PLL chip #. The problem is it's limited by cooling and voltage.

That's good news, there's also other programs like SETFSB that will work with OEM machines. You just have to find the right PLL chip #. The problem is it's limited by cooling and voltage.
Glad to hear, I'm surprised that an OEM BIOS is allowing it but :thup:. Are you able to change the Cpu V, DRAM Freq, and HT Link as well?

Glad to hear, I'm surprised that an OEM BIOS is allowing it but :thup:. Are you able to change the Cpu V, DRAM Freq, and HT Link as well?

Unfortunately changing the CPU voltage is the only thing that isn't allowed in the OEM BIOS, everything else is

Apparently, the new old CPU opened up options in bios.

Now, make sure your OC is stable by doing some stress testing wit temp monitoring. See if it will run Prime95 for at least two hours. Watch your temps with HWMonitor. You don't want the core temps to exceed 55-60 or the CPU (socket area) temps to exceed about 65-70c.

Remember trying out that prog a few years back (like 10y or more) on a Compaq build, was hell to find the PLL and even then the only thing it would allow me to change was the (you guessed it) FSB.

Apparently, the new old CPU opened up options in bios.

Now, make sure your OC is stable by doing some stress testing wit temp monitoring. See if it will run Prime95 for at least two hours. Watch your temps with HWMonitor. You don't want the core temps to exceed 55-60 or the CPU (socket area) temps to exceed about 65-70c.
Yeah, I actually stressed tested for 1 hour, with prime95 and checked the max temps with CoreTemp and the max Temp it got up to was 71 which apparently to some other site, the max temp im assuming it's safe to get to is 72C but I understand your rage 65-70 safe side, better to be safe than sorry.
Surprisingly this older processor than the one I originated with handles heat better, at least on my system

Safe temps on Athlons are 67c I believe. But safe and stable aren't necessarily the same.

Back