• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Selling Desktop Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dereku

Registered
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to sell my desktop in order to get a laptop that has comparable performance.

Should I part it out and sell it or should I sell it as a whole?

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.42 Ghz
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EX38 DS4 Motherboard $75
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC6400)
GPU: MSI NX8800GTS (G92)
PSU: CORSAIR 750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC
HDD: Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB HDD SATA
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1
Cooling: XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
Case: CoolerMaster Stacker 830
Drive: SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe SATA
Extra Case Fan: Thermaltake 120mm Blue LED Fan x6
Keyboard: Logitech G15
Mouse: Logitech G5 (Weights included)

Currently I'm thinking I could get about $1000 if I sold it by the parts, but my math estimating ability could be flawed. Currently my Craigslist ad states that if you can beat $900 I'll sell it to you as a whole, but is there a better way I can do this?

Thanks,

Derek

If you stick around here long enough to get 100 posts AND you have a .edu, .mil, or an ISP (Comcast, AT&T) email address, you get access to the OCF Classifieds where you might have better luck then Craigslist.

A lot of those are quality parts. I think you could sell the RAM, Motherboard, and CPU together, then maybe piece out everything else. A cheap 750TX would sell pretty fast, I would assume, since it's still one of the most recommended PSUs here.

Cooling: XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

Case: CoolerMaster Stacker 830

Extra Case Fan: Thermaltake 120mm Blue LED Fan x6

How much would you estimate me getting on the above 3 items (individually)?

The main reason I want to sell my desktop is to get something more portable and/or compact... a laptop is the prime example of that, but may be a bit out of reach as far as my budget goes unless I sell the whole system.

So instead I was thinking maybe just getting a CM Elite 360 RC and moving all the components into there.

The heatsink may be a bit too large for the case, in such a case I have to get a new heatsink and possibly also sell the old one. Although this may mean I have to re-overclock and stress test... may have to do so even if the heatsink barely fits because of the compact size of the case may just allow more heat in smaller area...

Unless case fans are really worth something, I might just keep them for my stockpile.

Background behind this is I was a Rotary Youth Exchange Student to Japan from August last year to April this year, yes I was in the earthquake, and my goal while there was to determine if I want to live in Japan eventually. If you hadn't guessed already, looking to move there permanently if possible. I've applied to get a scholarship from the Japanese government to study at a Japanese Uni and if I won, trying to ship a CM Stacker 830 would not only be impractical (because I doubt it would be much of a space saver in a Japanese apartment or college dorm) but also expensive (because of its weight).

This might help you, here's an article written by Miahallen about small form factor gaming computers. You're not going to be able to overclock to the max, but it's still going to be one beast of a computer. Case fans are usually worth a couple bucks apiece, not worth selling due to shipping. Not sure about the other two though, I know that people here are generally looking for Stackers for huge WC builds where they need the room though.

http://www.overclockers.com/gaming-tight-spaces-miniitx/

That was helpful, Thanks!

What I have decided to and thus done is buy the ATX mini-tower CM Elite 360 and we'll see what happens... from what I'm determining, it is unlikely my HSF will fit... :(

The old case fans I'm going to offer to the buyer of the case at $5 a pop, however many fans they want with their case is up to them, but just each one will be $5 + the case price itself...

Back