• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sen's $260 PNY 6800U ocing thread (all others welcome)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
d94 said:
nvm. #1 in orb:
3DMark03 Score: 24542 **XtremeResources.com 3D Team**\2fast4u

User: 1856575
Date: 2005-3-7

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 2839 MHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra, 496 MHz / 1228 MHz
Display Driver: 6.6.9.3
Driver Status: WHQL - FM Approved
Resolution: 1024x768 32 bit
System Memory: 512 MB
Video Memory: 256 MB

Thats wrong.

Fastest core is Shimarno at VR, 608mhz I think it is.

He has 20k in 03, and beats some of the SLI setups with a single card.

jchsatx09 said:
why do you need to overclock a 6800u? there is no game currently that can max it out, so what is the point?
Sure you can max it out: FarCry at 1600x1200x32 at 4xAA and 8xAF will do it; even having FarCry running HDR at those same resolutions (minus AA) will also do it. Doom3 at basically the same settings will do it. I know there are other games that do the same...

Besides, it's not "OCForums" if you're not OC'ing! :D

consumer9000 said:
LOL - I'll trade you my golden goose for your platinum hen!

One thing I find odd, these higher clock Ultras are getting beat in 3DMark05 by by lower clocked, unlocked GTO (Ultra).
I score between 6000 to 6100 in 3DMark05, what gives with the rest of these setups? :shrug:

How much difference will CPU and RAM and all that make in these test? I'm only running 2.1 GHz Athlon and 768 MB of PC3200 running at 400 MHz FSB; my highest 3DMark05 so far is 5933.

Slackfumasta said:
How much difference will CPU and RAM and all that make in these test? I'm only running 2.1 GHz Athlon and 768 MB of PC3200 running at 400 MHz FSB; my highest 3DMark05 so far is 5933.

Not much. GT1 in 03 is the only one really effected by CPU speed. I don't think that any are in 05.

consumer9000 said:
LOL - I'll trade you my golden goose for your platinum hen!

One thing I find odd, these higher clock Ultras are getting beat in 3DMark05 by by lower clocked, unlocked GTO (Ultra).
I score between 6000 to 6100 in 3DMark05, what gives with the rest of these setups? :shrug:
That is because the GT/GTO use lower DRAM timings

Sen, the way that I see your bad luck is that there's going to be the one thing that you get that's going to overclock like nothing else on this planet........... and everyone else that ever had good overclockers will get the crappy ones so it'll only be you with the pixie setup ;)

Sentential said:
Hmmm.... current data is looking pretty aweful :(

447 / 1140
428 / 1100
445 / 1134
439 / 1120
443 / 1130
440 / 1130
440 / 1130
Does PNY use 2.0ns on those?
Anyways for 250 bucks you shouldn't complain.
My Leadtek was 500€ when i bought it wich is about 700 Us $.
(And i was glad i got one!)
Mine has no single artifact at 470 but after that drivertest refuses to stick with clock. I could go further when i disable it but i guess i wont risk that. ;)

Did any of you mod the bios to 1.5v yet?
I'm temped to do it sometime. :D

Edit:
@consumer: GT's run on tighter memory timings. That's why an ultra is faster with a GT bios actually. (Though i wouldn't suggest to flash that one.)

mtb856 said:
Sen, the way that I see your bad luck is that there's going to be the one thing that you get that's going to overclock like nothing else on this planet........... and everyone else that ever had good overclockers will get the crappy ones so it'll only be you with the pixie setup ;)
God I hope so :-/

Flaming other users is clearly against the rules here. Perhaps you forgot. Before telling someone to 'grow up', perhaps you should do some growing up yourself? -- Oni :sn:

Last edited by a moderator:
jchsatx09 said:
oh quit whining. its a 6800u for god sakes. you act as if the sole reason you bought it was to overclock it. who cares if it doesnt overclock well...you dont need to. it will run any game out there. im so sick of hearing people p:ss and moan that everything wont overclock by 50%. grow up!
You say that but *obviously* you havent been around me long enough to understand :-/ :( And its not 50% its not even 1% in games (428 max up from 425)

Again with the flaming! I see you step out of line one more time, and I'll personally send you on a weeks vacation. -- Oni :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
We overclock because we can, not because we need to. It's a hobby. It's fun.

This thread is clean now. With a bit of luck, it will remain that way.

bleagh said:
My harddrive was directly in front of the video card only by about 2 inches. And the stock cooler on the 6800U pushes it's hot air DIRECTLY AT MY HARDDRIVE! AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

I hear what your saying, I had to literally shoehorn my 6800u into my case and it's very very tight. I have two 120mm fans on my radiator and the 6800's molex connectors are touching my 120mm fan, I did add two pieces of 'set' silicone between the molex connector and the fan to soften any vibration from the fan to the video card.

But I shouldn't complain, imagine if the PC version of the 6800Ultra was as long as the MAC version. :eek:

Btw, perhaps one of those $5 Hard drive coolers would help out your situation? I have one of these on both my hard drives, I wired them at 7 volts and they seem to do a decent job. (Due to my radiator, the hdd's are above the radiator and don't get much airflow, thats why I opted to use these cheap $5 hdd coolers.

Perhaps a new heatsink will coax your lazy card to perform! :)

Things are on track for production to begin in ernest next week. Shipments could be made as early as next Friday from the looks of things. :thup:

^^ As he said.

I didn't see you talk about getting rid of the junk stock cooling. I'm going to try westline's mod on my card, you may have a much smoother ride than me as the XFX idles at 52 C :(. I blame it on the junk stock cooling system.

just got my ultra today!
just pieced my old rig together since my new psu wont get here till thursday..
the fan on it is F***** up. like its hitting against the HS or something..anywayz if it ocs like a mofo ill stick my silencer on it. otherwise its RMA time :-/

Back