• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serious DFI LanParty NF2 Ultra B problem, please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silentbob00uk

Right...

so far i've fixed a grounding problem while assembling the components of my new pc into the case and got the motherboard to post ( Cue claps of joy or whatever ) which was a good feeling. However, now the components were placed back into the chassis and the pc was turned on with monitor connected and keyboard/mouse, to be greeted with TWO LED's and not four. The two LED's that are illuminated are LED 1 and LED 2, which the book says is ' Detection and installation of an IDE device ' .... I thought this was strange as there was NO video output from the GeForce 6600 at all. The monitor plays up ( Blinking monitor light with a self test screen telling me to check the signal cable etc... ) and eventually goes into standby mode.

After trying this several times with cold boot/warm boot methods and even trying to reset the CMOS and J8 jumper the machine will still not boot. I have removed all components except the RAM ( Geil PC3200 dual channel kit ) but on powering up, the system LED's still tell me it is detecting and installing an IDE device.

To save myself the possibility of waiting, the pc was left on incase it needed a few minutes... or years..... to sort itself out. Still two LED's at the time of writing and 48 minutes later.

Anyone have any advice at all on this matter???

The specs are as follows;

AMD Athlon XP 3200 Barton+400 FSB
Akasa AK-827
DFI Lanparty NFII-B
1Gb Geil PC3200
Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 80Gb SATA 8mb Cache
GeForce 6600 GT 128Mb AGP
LG GCC-4521BB 52x/32x/52x/16x CD-RW/DVD Combi Drive

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated - One thing to mention is that FrontX is installed, whether that will have any adverse effects on the system is beyond me, but there you go.

Many thanks!!!

The system posts but it never reaches the BIOS screen. The video card sends no signal to the monitor, how do I get a new BIOS for one I can't get into? :confused:

did you read the linked thread about how to actually restore your system. Since you didn't or missed it here you go

Ways of recovering from bios corruption/4 leds of death……

Well if you have a DFI NFII mother board and you have diagnosed it as having corrupted bios/4 leds of death, you have a few opions.

1. First thing first, always, always, always, try clearing Cmos first. Power the mobo down(do not turn off the PSU first, but hold the power button down until it shuts off. THEN turn off the PSU. Wait till the PSU if fully discharged (you will see the power LED’s go off) Then clear cmos using Angry Games way then try to repost. Many have had success w/ trying this repeated times, and maybe they didn’t get a post after one clear, but maybe after 5 clears, it posted….

2. The second thing I will suggest sounds off the wall but many have recovered though this method. First find the two swiches on your motherboard, reset and power. Push them both at the same time, but release only the power button, and continue to hold the reset button for 10-15 secs, and then release it. After releasing the reset button, some have had a mobo that refused to post w/ infinite cmos clears, to post.

3. Thirdly I would try a clear cmos in conjunction w/ setting the 100fsb jumper to 100fsb, and trying to post. This has worked for some.

4. As probably your last option I would try using different ram or cpu if available as a last resort. For example, after i experienced “4 leds of death” after putting in OCZ 4400(3-4-4-8) with out clearing cmos(I had BH-6 in w/ timings of 2-2-2, which the ocz will not run at), the mobo refused to post with my ocz or the BH-6, but I have an odd stick of ram, it doesn’t overclock well, but it will post at 2-2-2 or 3-4-4, or anything in between, and after inserting this ram, the mobo posted no problem. This may have been a fluke, and may not work for others but this was my personal experience and worked many times...

Anrgy Games who works for DFI, his way to clear the cmos is shut the system down. remove the power plug, wait for the leds to go dim, remove the cmos jumper and the battery, and then go watch tv for 30 minutes. then come back and follow the quote steps.

Jess always knows a ton about DFI, and helped me bost of a corrupted Bios. Unfortuneatly my board died soon after.

I was going to attempt the first method listed, but you said "then come back and follow the quote steps."

What are the quote steps?

Ahh i thought so, silly me!

I should try the first one, and then the rest if that fails.. hmm

HAHA J/k ... but i hot flashed my Ultra B with my NF3 250 and it worked. Obiviously don't reboot but remove it when flashed and put the orignal in then its safe to reboot.

Yeah, u may not have both but those that do its an option. Now that my Ultra B is running again i just leave it on 24/7 (warm boot issue).

Sorry can't be more help, but i know that just sucks to have one's rig not running

not to be a jerk, but hangten, there is no way it worked, the obvious fact that there is no southbridge, and the architecture is so disimilar, there is no way a hot flash worked with those two boards

I'm thinking of RMA'ing the board back to DFI for a replacement or at least repairs, do you think it's too early for this or not?

We're gonna try those steps listed above first obviously, but it seems like a sure way to sort the problems out?

Later in the day, I will help you solve the problem with your board. There is a chance that your board is simply a bad one, or it could be due to user error (which is not uncommon). Also, keep in mind that these boards (as well as most NF2 solutions) do not play well with Geil ram. Just a thought...

deception``

Silentbob00uk said:
The help would be appreciated, we've got no clue whats wrong with it at all!

I apologize for overlooking this thread. I suppose I don't visit this forum often enough. Anyhow, I have a couple of suggestions to offer. Look for them shortly.

deception``

You should also check and reseat your CPU heatsink, especially if it's a "bolt through" HSF. I had the same symptoms when I installed my SP-97 (with the original backplate) on my LP nf2 B. Worked maybe 20 minutes (with good temps in the bios! around 30°C), then froze (during winXP install), then no post anymore, no video signal to the monitor, and I had the "4 LED of the death". But it posted when I tried with a stock amd HSF, mounted with a clip attached to the socket. Had to buy a neo backplate from thermalright to correct this.
So be sure the problem doesn't come from improper pressure of the HSF... or from damaged things, crushed or shorted near the 4 holes around the socket :(
I hope you'll find your way ;)

Last edited:
I have the same board and it runs like a top with my GEIL pc 4000 @ 260 fsb but I have heard many people say they had problems with the GEIL.....

Back