• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serious error message won't go away

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

My comp BSOD'd a while ago. I restarted and got this error message saying I had a virus. Ran virus scans and spyware scans a whole bunch, and my system is totally clean. Now every time I boot up, I get the "The system has recovered form a serious error" message. No matter what I click, the box just pops back up again. I can't get rid of it. I tried recreating the pagefile, but that didn't work. Any ideas?

kayson said:
My comp BSOD'd a while ago. I restarted and got this error message saying I had a virus. Ran virus scans and spyware scans a whole bunch, and my system is totally clean. Now every time I boot up, I get the "The system has recovered form a serious error" message. No matter what I click, the box just pops back up again. I can't get rid of it. I tried recreating the pagefile, but that didn't work. Any ideas?
Take a gander at Event Viewer.

Can you click on "details" and let us know what it says? Also check the event manager and see if there is a logged event concerning the error. These details concerning the error are vital to assisting you with correcting the problem. :)

I'm running XP Pro SP2. The event viewer shows system errors everytime I boot. It goes online to find details about the error and all it says is that there was a system error.

The error report sends 2 files. A dmp file and an xml file with all my devices and processes.

Here's the event view details:
Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bafd0497, parameter3 b84b1994, parameter4 00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

As a temporary solution I've disabled the error reporting service, but I'd like to fix the problem.

redduc900 said:
My guess is that your system is infected with the rustock.b rootkit. Download and run the Rustbfix.exe from MajorGeeks here...

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=111077
Ran that and it didnt find anything:

************************* Rustock.b-fix -- By ejvindh *************************
Sun 04/08/2007 15:30:39.17

No Rustock.b-rootkits found

******************************* End of Logfile ********************************

Back