• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serious Screen Corruption On iBook

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

Hi

I have just been giving a Ibook to fix anyways the screen wasn't powering up so after looking in the official forums I reset the PRAM using the command P & R keys. It worked but now the screen is all blockly I've no idea how to describe it here's a pic can any tell me what the problem is please and can it be fixed.

It's all over the screen I can't tell of anything on the desktop I can see icons and the docking tool but whats of it.

Last edited:
Thats weird after forcing it to power down and power back up the screen is back to normal but I think it may come back anytime soon I'll have to tell the owner to take it in for a service.

What kind of iBook is this?

There was a known problem with the older white iBook G3s (and some G4s) suffering from failing solder contacts on the GPU, or some other kind of logic board problem. Apple used to have a repair extension program for affected machines, but I think it has since expired. You can still find out about it here.

Sorry for the late reply it's a very old 1 a 800mhz G3 after googling for a supposed fix on the VRAM etc as I was reading forum after forum posting with the same or simular error. Some also stated the same problem that there's a botched clipping or solder etc I will look at them links you both gave me thanks very much.

EDIT: I watched that DIY video on the graphics card chip re heat etc I could try it as I can't see Apple taking this laptop back in for a repair as it ended in 2007. But I am going to e-mail them see what info I get on it.

Last edited:
Back