• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Server as workstation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The X9DRD-7LN4F with it's 32 threads can pull down around 220K points per day on f@h. With another rig's gtx970 folding, almost reached 1/2 M ppd.

ppd.png

Being a typical server board, there is no onboard sound device, so adding some sound capability would be a nice compliment, in it's role as workstation.

No need for anything really fancy, perhaps this USB Sound Adapter .

I have a very similar one I've using for server boards for years.

I just wanted to say this is awesome. DOing this for such a good cause, it's just amazing.

Plus, you guys here are all so damn cool! Love all the cool things I get to see (cause I never learn anything my hard cant playback crap anymore), THANKS!

Very cool. I've actually have a Dell Poweredge 2950 and R410 that I'm using as workstations because they were dirt cheap.

Video cards for servers as you have discovered is a challenge. There actually is an x8 version of the gt710 by evga, and zotec makes a x1 version of the gt520. Sadly, neither of these made the video on either server faster. In the end the only video upgrade I used was an old gt610 in the r410 since it has an x16 slot.

One idea for your server is if you use a low profile video card. Then you could just screw it into the stock slot. I wouldn't worry too much about the card bending when in a horizontal position as back in the day most long ISA cards (longer than most cards today) didn't reach the support at the end and would hang like that. Of course, the slot on the motherboard was really holding it in, so that's a big difference. But if you had a custom bracket, the 'tab' on the end would go in slot on the case and with the retaining screw, should provide a decent amount of support.

Very cool. I've actually have a Dell Poweredge 2950 and R410 that I'm using as workstations because they were dirt cheap.

Video cards for servers as you have discovered is a challenge. There actually is an x8 version of the gt710 by evga, and zotec makes a x1 version of the gt520. Sadly, neither of these made the video on either server faster. In the end the only video upgrade I used was an old gt610 in the r410 since it has an x16 slot.

One idea for your server is if you use a low profile video card. Then you could just screw it into the stock slot. I wouldn't worry too much about the card bending when in a horizontal position as back in the day most long ISA cards (longer than most cards today) didn't reach the support at the end and would hang like that. Of course, the slot on the motherboard was really holding it in, so that's a big difference. But if you had a custom bracket, the 'tab' on the end would go in slot on the case and with the retaining screw, should provide a decent amount of support.

Exactly. As it turned out, I realized that several pcie x8 cards were available that could be had for what it was going to cost me for a vertically mount bracket.

With prices on upscale video cards being so high, I just picked up a PNY GeForce GT 710 in the x8 flavor, and put it in the stock slot.

I wish I hadn't sold off my not-that-old gtx970, I'd have vertically mounted it in the Supermicro box. :shrug:

Glad you got something sorted. Was the performance of the 710 good? I didn't really see a positive change in either of my Dells with the 710. :shrug:

Glad you got something sorted. Was the performance of the 710 good? I didn't really see a positive change in either of my Dells with the 710. :shrug:

I'm using the 710 as a basic display adaptor, although I would like to see what it's 192 CUDA cores are capable of. ;)

resurrecting old thread i know, buuuuuuut, how quiet were these particular coolers? im in the market and trying to decide if i wanna get something specific to 2011 or if something like the hyper 212+ would be fine.... the quieter the better.

p.s. only reson i res'd the thread is i know the user is still active on the forums :)

resurrecting old thread i know, buuuuuuut, how quiet were these particular coolers? im in the market and trying to decide if i wanna get something specific to 2011 or if something like the hyper 212+ would be fine.... the quieter the better.

p.s. only reson i res'd the thread is i know the user is still active on the forums :)

The two Hyper 212s with the Noctua NA-RC7 Low Noise Adapter (LNA) cables are very quiet. Server HS/Fans usually require noisy fans to keep things cool.

My X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD came with one passive heatsink, which was plenty quiet- but ran a bit warm for my tastes when folding or doing Rosetta@home. The other HS had a typical server fan which screamed.

IMG_20190501_201046.jpg

I replaced the both with these SNK-P0050AP4 Heatsinks. They are not too noisy in my Chenming case.

Note: the HS mounting plate for the Socket 2011 on the Supermicro Boards accommodate a larger screw size than a typical skt 2011 compatible HSF.

I am running a similar setup on a different board with the 2 Hyper 212 evos and I really like them! It's not too noisy, and even if it was you can always swap the fans out. The temperatures are usually pretty good even under heavy load

I picked up a pair of used Noctua NH-U12DX i4 on Ebay for for my 2x Xeon E5-2650 workstation. They are dead quiet and very cool. If something similar to that pops up I would recommend it, but I don't think they are worth buying new.

Back