• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spare parts Server build (with no purpose yet)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gsrcrxsi

After building my new plex server I had some leftover stuff, and combined with some other leftover parts i was able to put together a decent server.

Not sure what i'll do with it yet. maybe use is for some video encoding (after a CPU upgrade) or temporarily donate it to my dad's SETI farm until i find something to do with it.

Specs:

Best Buy Rocketfish (Lian Li rebadge) case that i've had for years collecting dust from an old watercooled build.
leftover Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ motherboard (it only takes a V1 chips and i wanted to use V2s for my plex server)
2x Xeon E5-2650L 1.8GHz 8-core (came with the plex server that i swapped out)
2x CoolerMaster Hyper 212 evo (leftover from old mining rigs)
32GB Samsung DDR3-1333 (pulled from backup plex server)
160GB Intel 320 SSD (from backup plex server)
WD 1TB Black HDD
PCP&C Silencer MKIII 1200w (dad had lying around from troubleshooting some server issues)
2x Scythe 120x38mm 2000rpm fans for intake
4x 120x25mm fans on exhaust

To fit the motherboard, i had to re-drill some standoffs. the board is listed by Supermicro as "Enhanced E-ATX". luckily the case has plenty of room to fit the taller MB. The bottom 6 standoffs lined up, but i had to redrill the upper 6 ones. luckily it was pretty easy, and the lower 6 helped me line it all up perfectly. I had also already cut the holes in the front and top for the additional fans.

7eABo7L.jpg
tLmv2rA.jpg

when i was swapping the MB in the plex server, i wasnt careful enough and slightly bent a CPU pin. i VERY careful tried to bend it back, but i was too scared to break it so its still a little bent. I was worried that it wouldnt work, but i fired it up last night and its working! woohoo!

Nice backup system you have there.

One of these days I really need to replace my super old Naas server (a64 x2 with 2g ddr1). So maybe I can get the Plex server off my main box.

You should run cinebench r15 to see what it scores.

I ran it, need to double check the score. It didn’t do that great. Similar to the single 10-core 2680v2. But they are low power so... lol

I also ran P95 on it. These chips make like no heat lol. Small FFT with AVX and the hottest core was like 42C

yup. just ran it.

single E5-2680v2 (all 10 cores @3.1GHz w/turbo) scores about 1380
dual E5-2650L (all 16 cores @2.0GHz w turbo) scores about 1360

Do you feed alot of devices with Plex ?
Didn't think you needed that much umph =)
Most I ever feed is two Chromecast's.

what is this "need" talk? ;)

but my plex server/NAS definitely has more power than it needs right now. I don't serve many users mainly just me and like 1 other friend right now. but i'm starting to include 4k content in my library, so transcoding that to 1080p TVs and mobile devices uses quite a bit of power. my 2x 2680v2 setup in my current plex server can see up to about 40% CPU load just transcoding a single 4k stream.

well, just won an auction on ebay for 2x E5-2690s (2.9GHz 8-core). these will replace the low power chips. and ill toss the rig to my dad for his SETI stuff for now.

Lol that's an awesome christmas present. You've gone a long way from your initial plex project, lol...

stole the PSU and SSD out of this to use in my mining rig. lol.

replaced the PSU with a spare corsair 750W i had.

it's good to use all these extra parts to good use.

Back