• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Server build for File server and other duty question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hotlove

Registered
Hi folks,

Does anyone have try to build a server or any type of server with this
motherboard and CPU. If you did, did you encounter any problem
during your build? Like update the bios to recognize this CPU.
I am planning to build a file server with potential other duty like web server,
FTP server also with this motherboard and CPU. I like to maintain my
computer building skills and also want to get deeper into the server world.
I also planning to use FREEBSD as the Operating System on this build.
Oh... I also wanted to use the integrated graphic built-in of this CPU to reduce
cost.

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLM+-F-O uATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C224 DDR3 1600

Intel Xeon E3-1276 v3 Haswell 3.6GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1150 84W Server Processor

Thanks folks for all your help.

Cong

If you are just doing it for fun/home use, I wouldn't bother with a server motherboard or a Xeon, or EEC memory.

Those things are for people who don't mind paying 2x the price for a slightly lower failure rate (mission critical stuff).

Functionality-wise they perform just the same as desktop parts.

I have run my own server for many years, but recently (3 years ago) migrated to Amazon EC2 for lower maintenance, and higher reliability.

For a low traffic production server, unless you have very specific needs, it's almost always easier and cheaper to go with VPS.

Hi Cyberfish... Yeah, I build it for fun/home use and also for me to educated myself deeper into the server world and also preserve my computer building skill since the last time I build a PC was around 8 years ago. For education purpose, what do you think of that motherboard and the CPU? Will there be any problem when putting this together? Will the motherboard be able to recognize the CPU without updating the BIOS? I also want to use the integrated built-in graphic card to just to save some bucks :).
Anyway, thanks for your suggestion and feedback. So do you build any more PC just for fun ?

Hi Cyberfish... Yeah, I build it for fun/home use and also for me to educated myself deeper into the server world and also preserve my computer building skill since the last time I build a PC was around 8 years ago. For education purpose, what do you think of that motherboard and the CPU? Will there be any problem when putting this together? Will the motherboard be able to recognize the CPU without updating the BIOS? I also want to use the integrated built-in graphic card to just to save some bucks :).
Anyway, thanks for your suggestion and feedback. So do you build any more PC just for fun ?

The motherboard says it supports E3-1200 v3 series, so I don't see why it won't work. They are just way more powerful than what you need, and are really not the best use of money.

There is nothing wrong with running servers on non-server hardware, as long as the server isn't mission-critical, and most people do that. You get to play with the exact same things (no software requires server hardware to run), for much less money.

I don't really build PCs anymore. Went back to school (doing my masters in computer science), and just don't have time anymore. I do use very powerful servers (32 cores, 512GB RAM) and a supercomputer for my research, but I am obviously not rich enough to own any of them.

Yeah I know... Don't tell my wife about this :).
Anyway, since you emphasize on about best use of money, I will reconsider about
what I plan to purchase for my server build. Anyway, I like your educational spirit there.
Keep it up and further yourself, it fun and meaningful to be educated it will definitely
help you down the road. I want to learn more but it take a lot of time and money and
I do need to pay my mortgage and bills and feed the kids. But I'm trying to educated myself
by buying book and do it on my own pace. Good Luck there my friend !

everytime, we gotta explain, server hardware isnt going to make a difference in learning server software, same exact thing. if you are file serving grab a cheap pentium or celeron cpu a board that has the sata connections you need and booom. it isnt worth the extra cost at all. my first file server a few years ago was an old core 2 duo and some hard drives i had laying around. worked fine.

you arent gonna learn anything new putting a xeon cpu in a board as a core i, celeron, pentium, or any of the sorts same thing different name higher price tag.

Thanks Wagnex... You got me there... Thanks for your input :)

I used a Pentium 3 for my server for about 5 years, and only retired it 3 years ago when I moved it to "the cloud" (aka Amazon's computer).

What did you put in that server Cyberfish ? Storage capacity? Speed? Memory ? Etc ...

+1 to what wagex said

Check the server build in my sig. Put it together with spare parts I already owned (other than a bunch of hardrives which I had to purchase). Been running for years now and have never had an issue even when streaming movies to 3-4 pcs at a time. Also...any pos videocard is fine (actually...most people run thier servers 'headless' so don't even need vga out).

What did you put in that server Cyberfish ? Storage capacity? Speed? Memory ? Etc ...

3x1TB RAID-5, WD Blue drives I think (just what I happened to have sitting around).

800 MHz or something Pentium 3 (probably equivalent to something like a 50 MHz i5), 256MB SDR RAM. For running Linux or FreeBSD without graphical interface that's more than enough.

Only thing I had to add was a PCI SATA card, because SATA came out quite a few years after I bought that machine, and gigabit ethernet, because otherwise transferring files is painfully slow.

Back