• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SetFSB and catastrophic system failure?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thrombox

I only just installed SetFSB and was playing around with it on my beloved old HP XW4600 which I use for old gaming (and recently pushing it with newer games), it has no facility for a BIOS overclock which is why I had to do a software overclock with SetFSB.

I have the correct Intel X38 mobo PLL and it was quite happy running games completely stable with the Q9650 3.0Ghz Core2Quad at 3.6ghz with cool temps (I have a big cooler). I'd bring the clocks back to normal after stopping gaming which I tested for about 2 hours.

Later I got greedy and tried to push it up to the max on the slider and reach 4.0Ghz ( I know I know :D )

As soon as I hit the button "set FSB" it literally froze although I could still hear the CPU rattling, I shut the system down by force after 20 seconds, I expected to reboot and try a lower setting on the slider. Lo and behold when I rebooted it forgot the time, forgot it's components and forgot it had 8gb's of ram and when loading Win 7 I got the BSOD, I tried repair installs to no avail and the closest I got was after going back to a saved point where it loaded to the Windows screen and froze no BSOD though.

What worries me is I dual boot with Windows XP - this now BSODs too on loading which I did not expect.

I've run chkdsk in the command prompt everything is ok except I get.

"failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50"

I've also removed the CMOS battery for about 1 minute, will give it a longer go. Next I'll be trying to re-install either Win XP or Win 7 that is if I haven't bricked the mobo (thankfully dirt cheap)

What I'd really like to know is what happened and how to avoid it in the future since I'd like to use setFSB in conjuction with this system in the future, I'm aware I'm unable to change voltages because of the BIOS, but obviously the temptation is to put the slider a little higher without doing the above!

Last edited:
Update: Just tried to install Windows XP via the installer I got the following BSOD when it said loading Windows:

XPOuch.jpg

Ok well linux live disc enabled me to do a Ubuntu USB boot, so I could get the files out of the partition.

Then I did a format and Windows 7 complete re-install via USB, the system is working (sigh of relief).

When I try to re-install Windows XP via CD however I get the same BSOD as above.

I am thinking though this could be to do with the BIOS flash, as the setting revert to RAID for the SATA controller, I switched it to AHCI, maybe I was running IDE before but I don't think so?

Still scratching my head as to why this happened?

Ok so the SetFSB caused my BIOS to lose it's settings, it messed up my Windows 7 install (for reasons still unknown to me)

I'm able to say why it messed up my Windows XP because it must have switched the BIOS to the default RAID setting rather than IDE. But I still don't know what happened with my Win 7 installation (where setFSB was activated)

Back