• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting RAM Speed & Timings To 1866

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jayp365

Hi all

I apologise in advance for being such a noob at this but was hoping that somebody could help me with setting my RAM to 1866 (or 1600 if 1866 is too high)

I've been looking into it and have read on another post from someone with a very similar setup to me that manually setting his RAM to 9-11-9-27-42 and 1.65v would allow him to set it to 1866mhz. I've also read somewhere that I may not be able to set it to 1866 (without overclocking CPU first) because I'm using 16GB where as he was only using 8GB

Here is my system specs,
CPU : AMD FX 8350 @ stock speeds
Mobo : ASUS Sabretooth 990FX R2.0
Cooler :Corsair Hydro Series H90
Ram : Kingston (4x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz HyperX Genesis XMP CL9 1.65V
Video : ASUS GTX 780 3GB DU2 OC Edition
SSD : OCZ Agility 3 500GB SSD + 500GB HDD
PSU : Corsair GS600

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry I'm completely new to this, does that mean going into the BIOS and simply setting it to 1866? If so then yes but then it failed to boot so I had to set it back to 1333

Instead of just adjusting the DRAM frequency to DDR3-1866, try setting Ai Overclock Tuner to XMP and select the DDR3-1866 profile.

Oh I see, thanks.

I will try this when I get home from work in about 40 mins

You could also try setting Ai Overclock Tuner to D.O.C.P., which overclocks the DRAM frequency by adjusting the BCLK. So in the case of DDR3-1866, you would select the DDR3-1866 DRAM O.C. profile.

I have just tried setting it to docp (there was no xmp option available) then changed the ram to 1866 but now when i boot my moniter just says 'out of range' so i can see anything...

When i first selected docp the ram frequency defaulted to 1600. Should i have left it at that?

With the DOCP--> DDR3-1866 profile enabled (I believe you'll want to select Profile#0 under OC Profile), check to make sure the timings are correctly set to 9-11-9-27, and the DRAM voltage to 1.65v.

Last edited:
Ok thanks. Also, do u know how i can revert it as i think last time i tried this i had to use a vga monitor to see anything but i no longer have one and my new graphics card only has hdmi and dvi. At the moment i cant even get into the bios as the out of range message comes up straight away

I have found that most times and this depends on the BIOS version alot you just have to set these AMDs manually. Set your speed and voltage , then in the tools section you'll see an SPD option. select it and you can bounce back and forth between the AI Tweaker> Dram timing and the spd screen also verify the lower timings as they don't always set up correctly. I typically set the speed and volts and main timings save and reset then go directly back to the bios and verify the set-up on the rest of the timings and change as needed.

I think I've done it! I just had to google how to reset cmos.

There was what I think was a preset profile, which auto changed timings & voltage to 9-11-9-27-46 1.65v, although it said 1867mhz which is why I didn't select it originally and after I did the red light was on for a while on the mobo during boot up but did go out one windows loaded. I've just downloaded cpu-z, does this look ok?

Capture.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Windows is running that's a good sign , I would give it a good stress test now to see how it does

I'm not familiar with stress tests. I've heard of prime95??? What do I do with it and what should I look out for?

Run Prime95 blend torture test. You should also download Hwmonitor "non pro" . Open Hwmonitor and run prime, watch your temperatures on the Cpu and Core/Package. If the Cpu exceeds 70c or the Core/Package temp exceeds 62 stop the test. A failure would be a freeze, BSOD or a lost worker.

I've just ran the blend test and its completed 10 tests and now appears to have started over. The cpu temp stayed at 48 and the package temp at 32. How long should i let it go on for?

I ran the stress test for just under 2 hours. All workers had 0 errors & warnings so I'm assuming it's ok.

Thanks guys for all you help!

Lucky... Mine is rated for the same timings and I can't boot at 1866 10-12-10-30-50 @ 1.65V and increasing CPU NB voltages and everything...

Must be nice. :thup:

I ran the stress test for just under 2 hours. All workers had 0 errors & warnings so I'm assuming it's ok.

Thanks guys for all you help!
I find that if I can pass 2 hours of Prime Blend my computer will take anything I throw at it without fail, so yes in my eyes it's stable.

Heck if I get a Prime95 Blend to last half an hour I have never had it fail in a game or stressful program beyond that. Prime Blend is a beast.

Back