• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS B450-A Will not run ram at full speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlasterODB

Hello all and to the future individual who solves this problem, thank you.

As of yesterday 4/8/21 I build a new PC for Music Production, for some reason whenever I try to
run ram faster that 2666mHZ it will not post, it reboots a few times and I have to enter the bios and
save the ram back at 2666mHZ setting. I have ran stress tests on the system at stock recommended settings
and no error. As soon as I try to increase the ram and it will not post. I had it up to 3066 however, when I ran
Prime it errored out on 6 workers with the fault 0.5 error something about voltages. There were set by the
bios selection. Looked online to see about manual timings but cannot find them. I just want to see if maybe something
is actually faulty before I return. Or this is an issue with the CPU (which says it is not) or the ram as it is not on the QVL listing
but the ram works? Any suggestions and help will be appreciated.

Here are my specs
Ryzen 5 1600 AF (super deal used)
ASUS PRIME B450M-A motherboard
Silicon Power DDR4 3200mHZ
GT 1030
Asgard m.s SSD
2x SSD drives

It could still be an issue with the CPU. If I remember right, the first gen Ryzen IMC wasn't great and had trouble with higher RAM speeds.

What's the P/N of the RAM kit?

Here is the RAM I bought - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08QV1V17R...imm_N729XYTAEEMCHZ98RGG6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The Ryzen 1600AF is the zen+ 12NM its basically a 2600. Figured from all the information on the net it should handle the ram.
I also ran prime all night at stock no errors as well as the ram so stability seems to be fine.
I am worried that maybe the CPU was overclocked before, running tests did not yield any BSOD, lock ups, slow downs, reboots etc.
so I am thinking the CPU is fine. Also the max speed the CPU can handle on paper is 2667 although I am seeing posts of people
using 3200 and utilizing it fine. So it might be an timing and voltage issue. It is not important I am going to upgrade to a 4000 series once
they become available and the prices drop, I just do not want this CPU to be an issue as I will use it in a media build one I upgrade.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
It's unlikely to be damaged from over clocking. While not or of the question, if it runs fine with the memory at 2666 then you're most likely problem is:

1. Your not overclocking the ram correctly. I know the ram is 3200 at stock, but the base speed for the 1600 AF is only 2666 so anything over this is technically an overclock. This is why it runs at 2666 or of the box. I would direct reviewing your overclocking technique to verify you are getting your timings and voltages correct.

2. The ram is not on the QVL. This one is tricky. Most (or at least a large number) ram will work at stock even if not on the QVL, however, overclocking, stability, etc is a gamble. If you end up at a dead end with overclocking, I would recommend exchanging these for something on the QVL. (Personally I'm a G.Skill fan - unsponsored plug lol)

3. It is possible that it's hope CPU or even motherboard. I would exhaust all other options first though. Unless you know that CPU/motherboard has been through some extreme abuse I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Thanks,
The CPU was bought used from Amazon warehouse, and the mobo was bought new from Amazon ( I have Bezzos on speed dial ha). I was not interested in overclocking however, I was using a laptop for my DAW and well a desktop is just more raw power especially for running CPU intensive VST's I digress.
I haven't done a manual overclock this was just the AI settings that tuned it and it didn't boot. One setting I had to pull the Battery to clear the CMOS. Again everything at stock it runs fine and seems to be stable. Im with not overclocking the ram until I get a bew CPU. I just don't want to have garbage ram when I do. I like G.Skill as well just at the time of purchase there were no 16Gb kits. I needed to get back to work. I will try to overclock manually and see if I can get it stable. The only thing that worried me was at 3066 prime95 had those errors and further research yields its most likely voltage. Thanks again and I will try to OC 👊

You are welcome, and welcome to the forums. If you do decide to overclock, you are at the right place... it's kind of our specialty. Lol

I want familiar with the 1600 AF until your post. I did some research and it looks like you have a very nice budget CPU that actually overclocks better than the 2600 that it was modeled after so you have that going for you. The ASUS Prime is no longer the Prime of old and has become their budget line unfortunately. Still, with that low power CPU as long as you have a good CPU cooler you might still be in a good position to OC. Ok. My turn to digress.

Most standard DDR4 can safely handle 1.40-1.45v so long as you have good airflow in your chassis. You might try bumping your ran voltage to 1.40 with xmp settings and see if she's good.

Thanks for the welcome, I should have become a member decades ago, alas here we are.

The funny thing is I sold my last build thinking I was going to strictly going to use a mini PC or a laptop more mobility and wanted to just use small form factors etc. for work.
I opted for a laptop got a Dell Inspiron Ryzen 5 4500U at a really good deal. It's truthfully amazing I had not a laptop since 2008 so this
was WOW felt like a desktop, so I ended up using that for more personal fun. Had some parts laying around and as we builders do, I couldnt
let those just sit around, so a week of research and waiting for deals, lower pricing here we are. I usually do not overclock and it has been awhile
yet, something about getting these parts so cheap and everything I have thrown at is so far is just WOW for my usage. So of course I want to push it,
so I will try some settings and see what happens. Yes the Prime used to be good BUT the prices and trying to build a budget system I got the MOBO, RAM, CPU and PSU for under $400.
Opted for a used CPU because with the motherboard being able to support 4000 series and 4000MHZ ram ALTHOUGH soon enough there will be a new platform.
I can still upgrade this system with a decent CPU and let the kids use it when those changes are here and fully tested. WOAH that was some written diarrhea.

Back