• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting Temp Target Lower Than 75°C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SandShriner

Hi,

The question is in the title:

Is there any way to set a temperature target of lower than 75°C ?

I have an Asus TUF FX516 laptop with and RTX3070. Tried many utilities as GPU TWEAK 3, MSI Afterburner and ZOTAC Firestorm, but failed to achieve that goal.
Tried even nvidia-smi.exe, same result. Not interested in tweaking Vbios/flashing etc...

Thanks for all who even try to help.

Wondering why setting a temp limit in all those applications didn't work...you can even prioritize power or temperature in MSI AB...

What is the goal... as in why lower than 75C? :)

Last edited:
If I'm right then the lower limit set by Nvidia/manufacturer (depends on the GPU) is 65-75°C for all cards in the last 2-3 generations, and the slider in every soft is stopping somewhere there. Like my desktop RTX3060 has 65°C but laptop GTX1660Ti in FA506 has 75°C. You can override it with a BIOS mod, but I wasn't trying that as I never needed to set the temp limit so low.
I don't know why you want to set it lower, but to lower the heat and keep it boosting higher, I was setting a much lower power limit like 65% and the maximum temp limit. My cards were typically going down to ~70°C, still boosting to 1800MHz+. This is more like a setting for BTC mining, and in games, you can expect maybe 15% lower performance.

Wondering why setting a temp limit in all those applications didn't work...you can even prioritize power or temperature in MSI AB...

What is the goal... as in why lower than 75C? :)
If I'm right then the lower limit set by Nvidia/manufacturer (depends on the GPU) is 65-75°C for all cards in the last 2-3 generations, and the slider in every soft is stopping somewhere there. Like my desktop RTX3060 has 65°C but laptop GTX1660Ti in FA506 has 75°C. You can override it with a BIOS mod, but I wasn't trying that as I never needed to set the temp limit so low.
I don't know why you want to set it lower, but to lower the heat and keep it boosting higher, I was setting a much lower power limit like 65% and the maximum temp limit. My cards were typically going down to ~70°C, still boosting to 1800MHz+. This is more like a setting for BTC mining, and in games, you can expect maybe 15% lower performance.

These apps have no control over voltage and temperature in my laptop's GPU.
My goal is prolonging the computer's lifetime by not heating it close to the limits, as I experienced crashing of the video driver, along with the game I was playing several times when it overheated.

Have you tried adjusting the power limit yet? You'll lose performance doing so, but, that's also an option.

It's odd that it's crashing at 75C. These chips are good to well over that in its desktop variant. Most laptops will bang off that limit without worry.

Also, think about a fan setup below the laptop...

If you didn't do that already, then you can check additional options in Afterburner settings. There you unlock manual adjustments. It may work or not, depending on the vendor and BIOS. For me, voltage changes are not working on desktop RTX3060. Then you can check if "curve editor" works. This was quite popular for mining too.
Btw. lower GPU clock = lower power = lower heat as it works automatically and adjusts the voltage in the background. So the best result is a lower power limit and lower GPU clock. -200/300 MHz is still not bad for gaming. You can set a +500MHz memory clock to compensate for some performance losses.

I simply purchased +2 years of insurance with my laptop, and I don't care if it dies as I get a new one or repair (depends if it's in the first or second 2 years), and in 4 years, it won't be worth to repair, or I get a 2nd hand components on auctions as these models are quite popular. I count it won't die, but no one knows.

One more tip as I did that with my laptop. These laptops have a terrible bottom cover design. I purchased a cover from the same laptop on auction, and maybe I didn't have time to do that yet, but I will modify it (cut holes in short) for better airflow. Some guys around the web noticed 10-15°C lower temps on some sensors. I bought a spare bottom cover, so I won't lose the warranty when I modify the original one.

If you didn't do that already, then you can check additional options in Afterburner settings. There you unlock manual adjustments. It may work or not, depending on the vendor and BIOS. For me, voltage changes are not working on desktop RTX3060. Then you can check if "curve editor" works. This was quite popular for mining too.
Btw. lower GPU clock = lower power = lower heat as it works automatically and adjusts the voltage in the background. So the best result is a lower power limit and lower GPU clock. -200/300 MHz is still not bad for gaming. You can set a +500MHz memory clock to compensate for some performance losses.

I simply purchased +2 years of insurance with my laptop, and I don't care if it dies as I get a new one or repair (depends if it's in the first or second 2 years), and in 4 years, it won't be worth to repair, or I get a 2nd hand components on auctions as these models are quite popular. I count it won't die, but no one knows.

One more tip as I did that with my laptop. These laptops have a terrible bottom cover design. I purchased a cover from the same laptop on auction, and maybe I didn't have time to do that yet, but I will modify it (cut holes in short) for better airflow. Some guys around the web noticed 10-15°C lower temps on some sensors. I bought a spare bottom cover, so I won't lose the warranty when I modify the original one.

Done that. Even if all MSI Afterburner's settings are enabled, and I set kernel mode or different GPU types it still has no control over voltage and fans.
Tried lowering the GPU Clock by 500mhz and it actually worked and was stable, however, it had no effect on GPU temperature.

My next computer will probably be a desktop PC. There you have more room for tweakage.

Get a fan device for the bottom of the laptop...

Temps are fine there, so, I wouldn't sweat it anyway.

This will probably be the solution if a SW solution will not be found.

My laptop is elevated about 10cm from the surface it is standaing on, by means of a tweak I made myself.
That's why I am getting decent performance even in the hot summer days.
It is a nice trick for boosting performance and cooling.

Last edited:
Back