• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

setting up a home lan with XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chittnp

This is really a really stupid question, but Im trying to transfer mp3's from desktop (which Ive loaned to my parents) onto my laptop. both are running XP Pro. I want to be able to transfer them over the "network" at my parents house (consisting of my desktop and a linksys wireless router WRT54g). the problem is that even when both are connected to the network, none of my shared folders show up on either, I've tried running the network setup wizard, but imnot getting anywhere. any good Tutorials you can point me toward or how-to's are appreciated. thanks

I don't know of any tutorials but I may be able to help. You will want to ensure that each machine is shareing files. If you right click the drive or folder of your choice, you should be able to select 'shareing'. There are a few folders that you can NOT share. Program Files is one. You can still share files inside of Program Files just not that folder.

Make sure both computers are on the same workgroup. Right click on the folder(s) you want to share and go to the Sharing tab. Tick the share folder box and enter a name for the network share. Then go to network neighbourhood. Click on view all PCs in workgroup. Then double click the computer whose shared folder(s) you want to access. Then select the share you want to access.

Pics attached:

Attachments

• network0.jpg
    network0.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 32
  • network1.jpg
    network1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 27
  • network2.jpg
    network2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 24
Windows XP asks "Are you sure you want to share this folder on the network? And are you aware of the security risks?" or something like it...my reply is "yes you &%^%$# I want to share it or I would not change the setting"....

Back