• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sharepoint?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

My work is starting to get some pressure to set up Sharepoint for document sharing at my work. My IT supervisor has heard that it is a fairly simple setup, but a pain to administer. Can somebody point me to a good guide for how to administer it and what all is involved with doing it well?

Thanks!

How large a user-base will you have?

What version are you guys going to use?

Most of your normal questions can be answered with a simple Google search, as SharePoint is widely used in business solutions. I manage multiple SharePoint installations as a job in the military. I find the administration is not the issue, it's the users trying to use something more advanced than they are.

My 1st suggestion: Plan everything in advance. Know ahead of time what you will be doing to do backups/restores, the hierarchy of the sites, everything.

Just as an added note here, SharePoint administration is a full-time job with a big enough user-base.

Last edited:
If you're just using it as a document repository, it's fairly straightforward. Sharepoint is nice in that you don't need a fully qualified .NET developer to maintain it, but it definitely has a learning curve on the administration side.

How large a user-base will you have?

Somewhere in the range of 40-60 users, with about 10 of those being in China.

What version are you guys going to use?

Not sure, but most of our office in running Office '10/'13 at the moment. More than half will be '13 in the next 2-3 months.

Most of your normal questions can be answered with a simple Google search, as SharePoint is widely used in business solutions. I manage multiple SharePoint installations as a job in the military. I find the administration is not the issue, it's the users trying to use something more advanced than they are.

The problem I've been running into is too much information at this point, which was why I was asking for a guide. I've got somewhat of an idea of what it is, but we already have an intranet, though it is fairly basic. About 8 servers, most of which do some file-serving, in addition to their other functions.

My 1st suggestion: Plan everything in advance. Know ahead of time what you will be doing to do backups/restores, the hierarchy of the sites, everything.

Just as an added note here, SharePoint administration is a full-time job with a big enough user-base.

This is good information to know. I doubt we are anywhere close to that level, but also we only have 1 full time IT person, and me. And I have to split my time between CNC machining and IT work. I'm averaging about 65-70 hour a week right now as it is.

If you're just using it as a document repository, it's fairly straightforward. Sharepoint is nice in that you don't need a fully qualified .NET developer to maintain it, but it definitely has a learning curve on the administration side.

The users who are pushing for it seem to mainly want it for that, so that is a plus.

Thank you both for replying. I appreciate the help. :thup:

About how many documents would you say these 40-60 users produce in a month? Actually, I should ask about size. Would you think you guys produce 500MB of documents in a month? 1GB? 10GB?

Depending on the amount of data you guys will produce, you probably won't need too many document libraries. The way we do it as a division, and has worked well so far, is that we have one top level library for files that need to be shared throughout the entire unit with everyone having privileges to share inside of. Then every section/sub-unit has their own site with their own document libraries in which only people in that section have privileges to.

With 60 users and the main focus being just document sharing/collaboration you can use one single site collection. This is good, as navigation and other features are harder to manage with multiple site collections. Plan the hierarchy of your sites out in advance though for sure. Think about how your security groups will be as well.

You might be able to get away with just an overall Site Owners, Members and Visitors group but you should generally have a set of those(or more) groups for every site.

As in IT Owners, IT Members, IT Visitors then for HR you have HR Owners, Members, Visitors and do the same for every other section. It might seem like overkill for only 50ish users, but it's a lot easier to manage and know exactly what someone in each group can access.

Leave all permissions as inherited until all your sites are created, then break the inheritance then. That way you can just remove privileges from a few sites, instead of adding privileges to a ton of sites.

If my thoughts seem all over the place, it's because they are. I'm just throwing tidbits of suggestions at you that I wish I had thought of or heard of before I began my first installation.

If you don't have an SOP yet, or don't do that in the civilian world, you should think about getting one in place before the site goes live. Have a proper naming convention for files in place before everyone starts throwing random **** called "document.doc" all over the place. Something along the lines of the name of the file, the name of the project it's related to, and the name of the section that produced it. Use underscores, not spaces. This is just a general rule of thumb for anything going on the web.

Also a part of the SOP, should be a 3 deep rule for document libraries. Basically, if Section A is hosting files and any other section is expected to see/use these files, then they should never be deeper than 3 folders inside that document library. Really important stuff, should be no more than 1 folder.

Last edited:
I am just curious, do you plan on setting up the SharePoint infrastructure on your company's servers? I don't support SharePoint but selling and administering SP is a common thing for my company and I know that we've actually have a number of clients go with SharePoint on Office 365 (SharePoint Online) but it is a per user cost, per month.

It's worth noting that Sharepoint is pretty expensive, especially if you're only going to be using it as a document repo.

Depending on your exact needs (and scale), it's probably more economical to just set up a network share and be done with it. Infinitely easier to manage, and much cheaper.

Talking with our main IT guy, pretty much all we would be using it for was network file sharing.

The new guy who had experience with it before, his old company used it for vendors to have access to their documents over a web portal. But we have no plans for anything like that.

It is sounding like it wouldn't really have any benefit to us at the moment. That may change down the road.

Thanks again for the input!

mbently, we didn't really have any plan at this point, more information gathering. But we probably would have set it up on our servers.

Talking with our main IT guy, pretty much all we would be using it for was network file sharing.

The new guy who had experience with it before, his old company used it for vendors to have access to their documents over a web portal. But we have no plans for anything like that.

It is sounding like it wouldn't really have any benefit to us at the moment. That may change down the road.

Thanks again for the input!

mbently, we didn't really have any plan at this point, more information gathering. But we probably would have set it up on our servers.

Cool, I was just curious more than anything since my SP knowledge is a bit lacking to say the least. The last time I tried out SharePoint, it was certainly a memory hungry beast (this was probably 6-7 years ago by now). Then again, I also did not have the most impressive hardware to run on it either since I was running it off of a few spare desktops. We had a number of customers who used it for document sharing with their clients as well but went through Office 365 for their implementations. The nice part about that was that it was easy enough for them to manage user accounts on their own so they didn't even have to bother us :)

Have you looked at a cloud based storage solution? Most are stupid easy to use which is always a bonus for users. I currently use Citrix's Sharefile. I don't have a server to pay for, maintain and buy licenses for every year. And I don't get raped by Microsoft or other big names on licensing or support agreements. Nor am I chained to software until I...again...pay to upgrade.

To top it off, I use Boxcryptor to add some extra security to the files.

Back