• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shopping Laptops

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have pretty much everything ready in the cart, i'll be ording within the next day or 2, i might swap out the motherboard for something of the Maximus IV flavor for dual PCIe x16's reason being, i was thinking of crossfire 6870's, i know what i said earlier about crossfire and bad experiances, but that was a 5970, which had 2 chips on the same baord, so i couldn't disable crossfire, or alter it at all, where as 2 seperate cards, i can. Can ATI/AMD cards crossfire on an Intel board/chip? Iv'e always done ATI/AMD pared so mixing would be a new area for me. Another reason is 2x6870's would be a bit better than 1x GTX 580 for the same price.

I have pretty much everything ready in the cart, i'll be ording within the next day or 2, i might swap out the motherboard for something of the Maximus IV flavor for dual PCIe x16's reason being, i was thinking of crossfire 6870's, i know what i said earlier about crossfire and bad experiances, but that was a 5970, which had 2 chips on the same baord, so i couldn't disable crossfire, or alter it at all, where as 2 seperate cards, i can. Can ATI/AMD cards crossfire on an Intel board/chip? Iv'e always done ATI/AMD pared so mixing would be a new area for me. Another reason is 2x6870's would be a bit better than 1x GTX 580 for the same price.

I'm more in favor of Nvidia cards these days myself. I would look at the Nvidia 560's

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604

they are comparable to the 6870's Also if your planning on gaming @ 1080p then the single 580 is fine or either of sli/cf choices. I myself would still stick with a single 580 and if needed down the road you can buy another 580 for sli

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-sli-review/17

this review seems to show that the 560's would beat 2x 6870's since 2x 6870's are pretty much on par with a 5970

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...oc-crossfire-vs-radeon-5970-introduction.html

Last edited:
Personally I would dump the H70 and just go for a good air cooler. Same temps and no worries about it ever clogging up due to algae or corrosion. Sealed LCLC just doesn't seem like a good move for the long term, imho.

Personally I would dump the H70 and just go for a good air cooler. Same temps and no worries about it ever clogging up due to algae or corrosion. Sealed LCLC just doesn't seem like a good move for the long term, imho.

yeah a good air cooler is fine I just hate the look of a giant cooler and the noise.

I belive thats one of the better air coolers around howver I dont follow the air cooling stuff anymore. just check and make sure it will fit in your case.

This is that cooler in my old 1090T system, same case Antec 1200, just wondering if the 1156 and 1155 fit each other. (I couldn't get the 1090t to go past 4ghz on that cooler, it would hit 55c pretty quick @ 1.48v, even after trying to reseat several times, my 1090t was just hot after 1.45v)
SYS.jpg

Just for referance, what is Intel's max safe voltage? I know for AMD iv'e never wanted to pass 1.5v alot of people do, but just for the sake of not wanting major degredation, iv'e stayed around 1.48v max.

Personally, since i got my MacBook I can't think of anything beside Apple laptops!! And you could always install windows and have both when you need windows application.

Back