• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

shorter ata66??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I really have no idea. I've thought about doing it a few times before, but could never be bothered to resolder all those wires. I expect you could quite happily just cut a section out and resolder all the wires to shorten the cable - and if you rounded it and then covered it with pvc tape or something you wouldn't even see the join. However, I'm not sure whether removing a connector would affect it - I don't think so, but you won't know till you try. It's only one ATA66 cable anyway, not exactly expensive to replace and if you're like me you've got a few spare anyway :)

solder?? resolder?? huh?

no, what i mean was cut right after the gray connector and use the black to gray from my mobo to my hd

:)

Should work fine, but only if you do a good job.
Keep the longest part, I read somewhere that a to long cable is bad (18+inches) and a too short cable is bad as well (believe it was something like 4 Inches, not sure though).

I've got an old (40 wire) IDE cable that has only one connector and that works fine, and the only difference between a 40 and a 80 wire cable is that the 80 wire cable has 40 Xtra wires connected to ground/earth.

I suggest you cut the cable with some scissors (that should leave a clean cut) and as close to the connector as possible, but before you do that you might wanna try it with a VERY sharp exacto knife (practice on the part you wanna get rid of), and see if you get a nice clean cut from that.

Nice clean cut=NO copper wires sticking out (you don't wanna short circuit your rig and/or HD).

Good luck (don't think you'll need that though)

maiof said:
solder?? resolder?? huh?

no, what i mean was cut right after the gray connector and use the black to gray from my mobo to my hd

:)
Ah, I misunderstood :)

Yeah, I don't see why it shouldn't work.

it will and does work, but why would you want to?
you can use an elastic/tape to fold the cable over itself so it will not take u any extra room.

i only have on thing connected to my primary its my hd

I have never had a cut ATA-66 drive cable work. NEVER. I have 3 of them sitting right here beside me that don't work after shortening. I have two that were cut from the mobo connector to the first connector, and the other one is just the two end connectors.

Good Luck.

I know I read a mod about this somewhere on some site. Never can remember them though. Basically all you do is unclip the end connector and pull the cable off the sharp metal pieces that are piercing through it. Then you just reposition it and cut off the extra cable. Okay it might be a bit more technical then that so don't just follow what I did. Try searching on google for ide cable mods or something like that. Actually I think what they were modding was the floppy cable so perhaps search for that.

Back