• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I go for faster speed or lower latency?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
RAM costs more because of high demand in mobile devices and brands like Samsung switched production. I haven't noticed difference in motherboard prices.
I wanted to buy one memory kit but prices in my area went up by 20-30% and it's too much for already overpriced kits which I usually buy.

I assuming it is the season of price gouging here in the states because of Christmas. I had an Asrock motherboard in my cart that was $99.99 after rebate. Now it is $140 after rebate. I can only imagine what prices are in Europe or anywhere else for that matter. I thinking that both RAM and motherboard prices will dip back down after the holidays.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year everyone!

Prices on RAM have definitely gone up from this time last year. I bought a 2x8GB DDR3 kit in November of 2015 for around $65, now that same kit is $100-110 (depending upon whether it's on sale or not) and has been for several months.

Glad I don't need a RAM upgrade right now, because at nearly double the cost one year later it doesn't seem like a good value.

On all Intel 6 series+ chipsets there is no worse performance using dual rank modules. Some applications are showing higher performance and sometimes it's really visible as for example HyperPi 32M can sometimes run as fast on 2400 dual rank as on 3000 single rank modules.

Prime95 and similar prime number finding software based on the same library are another example I have come across. Where large FFT sizes are used, it is easily ram bandwidth limited e.g. using a fast quad core CPU. Having the same speed ram in dual rank vs. single rank gives about 20% performance improvement. I remember comparing benchmarks once with someone with highly overclocked 6700k and 3700 ram, which I beat with mine at only 4.2 GHz and 3200 dual rank ram.

I was in the thinking that Prim95 and HyperPi 32M fit in the CPU cache?

I was in the thinking that Prim95 and HyperPi 32M fit in the CPU cache?

Prime95 can use various test sizes appropriate for the number being tested. Smaller tasks can fit in cache, but bigger ones wont. Most "interesting" types fit into the latter. Well, unless you have Crystal Well, if only Intel would put that into more desktop CPUs...

Happy belated holidays everyone :)

I have a quick question. I'm thinking of buying this memory G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GVR but I read a couple of reviews where people said they couldn't OC this kit. I mean it runs at 3000mhz (which is its frequency) but it apparently won't run any higher. I figured if they couldn't OC it I sure as heck won't LOL. Is that a bad thing when it comes to memory? seems like most reviewers like something that OC's well.

So if I was trying to build the best system possible, should I go with the Viper Elite 3000 instead?

http://www.overclockers.com/patriot-viper-elite-16gb-ddr4-3000-cl16-memory-kit-review/

In both kits you have the same chance on good OC. Reviewed Patriot was on Samsung IC but I had not much different kit based on Hynix IC which couldn't pass 3200. Most 3000+ G.Skills Ripjaws V and probably all Trident Z are based on Samsungs and will OC above 3333.

In both kits you have the same chance on good OC. Reviewed Patriot was on Samsung IC but I had not much different kit based on Hynix IC which couldn't pass 3200. Most 3000+ G.Skills Ripjaws V and probably all Trident Z are based on Samsungs and will OC above 3333.

Thanks so much Woomack :)

Back