• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I raise the IF speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thick8

Currently running 3600 ram that I’m thinking of trying to OC to 3733. Should I raise the IF to 1866 to maintain a 1:1 ratio? Does it matter? Is there much “real world” difference or would I just be satisfying an itch?

Unless you have really slow (less than 2600) or extremely fast ram (over 4400) you are usually better off keeping a 1:1 ratio
some CPU can run the fclk at 1900, so try it and see if it works, you mat get another percent or 2 performance out of it

Yeah you want to stay with 1:1 on the IF. If your ram has more headroom than the IF, then you can tighten down the timings instead. Watch this video for some tests on how timings impact performance.

Optimal is 3600 or 3733 1:1 (3800 would be better but it's hard to set it stable). In general, timings don't matter much but tighter (lower) is a bit better.

So I bumped it to 1866/3733 with XMP timings. Gonna try to tighten the timings here and then see if I can tighten them more at 1800/3600.

My Ballistix 3600 kits required about the same settings at 3600 and 3733. Had to be more relaxed at 3800 but not every motherboard likes that. Everything higher up to 4666 was giving worse results so just stick to 3733 and try to set tighter timings.

Back